PR and Media Manager (293442A) Bristol, England
PR and Media Manager - voluntary role for six weeks in the USA between June and October 2020, expenses paid!
This position will suit an experienced PR and Media Relations Manager who wants to use their skills to do something very different, to widen their work experience, support the 401 Foundation and be part of a small team looking to make a big difference. This opportunity will be highly sought after, as the chance to work with an international project like this one and with the amazing Ben Smith is very rare!
Simply amazing opportunity for 2 x Media and PR Manager candidates to get involved in this unique and high profile organisation - The 401 Challenge and Foundation.
Ben Smith ran 401 marathons in 401 days, finishing in October 2016 and raising over £330k for anti-bullying and mental health charities.
This time, Ben will be running another 50 marathons across 50 states in the USA in 2020 (and cycling between each one!). Ben will be aiming to complete the 14,001 mile adventure in just 104 days – starting on 1st July 2020 and finishing on 12th October 2020.
During this epic challenge, with the help of schools, organisations and individuals all around the UK, the USA and further afield, Ben is aiming to raise £1million for two charities - The 401 Foundation and the Youth Sport Trust, supporting their work which uses physical activity to improve young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
We are seeking 2 x Media and PR Managers (each for six consecutive weeks) to support The USA 2020 Challenge during the period June 2020 to October 2020.
Ben will be supported in the USA by a small voluntary team of individuals consisting of a Project Manager, Therapist, Content and Social Media Manager and a PR and Media Relations Manager (this role). There will be two people in the role, each for 6 weeks, travelling within the USA.
This is what you need to have!
- An extensive US media contacts book
- Natural communication skills to engage and deal with international, national and regional media
- Demonstrable knowledge of co-ordinating and managing PR campaigns and delivering excellent results
- Proven ability to manage and operate within a multiple stakeholder environment
- First class verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Proven ability in acting as a spokesperson.
- Excellent writing skills
- Understanding of social networking and other new media platforms
This is what you’ll be doing!
Managing, co-ordinating and delivering The USA 2020 Challenge media relations and PR strategy on day-to-day basis whilst in the US (the challenge will take three months to complete, so we are looking for 2 x PR and Media Relations managers, each to do six weeks in the USA).
Proactively promote The USA 2020 Challenge whilst in the US and identify reactive opportunities to promote the project’s key messages.
Be The USA 2020 Challenge point of contact for all US media enquiries including responsibility for the co-ordination of media interviews and Challenge announcements in the US, in conjunction with Ben Smith, The USA 2020 Challenge Content and Social Media Manager and the wider The USA 2020 Challenge team based in the UK.
Provide content / editorial support to The USA 2020 Challenge Content and Social Media Manager.
Maintain trusting working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
Expertly handle crisis communications scenarios, if necessary!
Assist in the production of media materials including press releases and the media cuttings book
- Applicants will need to have and show evidence of a clean UK driving license, be 25 or older and have experience of driving transit vans or similar size vehicles. Successful applicants will need to obtain an International Driving Licence prior to departure to the USA.
- Applicants will need to apply for a USA Tourist Visa to cover the 2 to 2.5 month period they will be in the USA. Applicants will need to affirm, prior to taking up post, that they have no criminal convictions and have not previously been refused entry to use USA.
- Applicants will need to provide their own Travel and Medical Insurance and pass details of such, prior to travel to the USA, to the UK Based PM. Medical Insurance must also cover dental care. Successful applicants must declare any serious allergies and will be responsible for sourcing and carrying any required medicines. They will also be responsible for having any vaccines required for travel.
This is an unpaid Volunteer position. However, travel to and from the USA, as well as accommodation and meals and Challenge-related use of support vehicles in the USA will be covered by the USA 2020 Challenge.
To register your interest please send your CV quoting reference 293442A.