Commercial Marine Underwriter
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Salary: benefits, 401k, annual bonus
Job Summary: To successfully collaborate with brokers/agents in an underwriting role resulting in premium growth and profitability. Help third parties sell to end source in a competitive market over a short sales cycle and to compete against incumbent vendors, price and/or industry leaders. To quote, issue, and service commercial marine accounts via phone, e-mail, and fax in a manner which creates an exceptional customer experience.
Essential Job Functions:
- Quote or decline new business by evaluating the submissions for acceptability to company underwriting guidelines including review of applications, websites and loss runs.
- Quote or non-renew existing business by analyzing the file to verify if it still fits company underwriting guidelines, obtaining renewal information, checking loss runs, and utilizing all available internal markets.
- Bind and set up policies for issuance
- Phone calls to customers and companies, returning customer calls and making calls to company underwriters for assistance on account service issues.
- Understand weather trends, named storms and how this affects boating in the Great Lakes, Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico
- Able to understand and monitor market trends
- Maintain daily workflow in ImageRight by analyzing, handling or forwarding to the techs daily tasks for processing.
- Meet service standard requirements
- Make regular tele-sales calls as directed by manager
- Write SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) and Idea Suggestions by following guidelines as determined by team goals.
- Maintain underwriting knowledge by attending underwriter training meetings at JM Wilson and insurance carriers also by reviewing company underwriting changes and manual updates.
- Back up others in the department and company by answering phone calls, handling customer service needs, quotes, binding and handling rush items.
- Meet premium volume goal after 2 years in the position
- Average PJR (Performance Job Review) score over year prior must be at least 5
- Perform other duties at the direction of management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail accuracy
- Effective decision making and negotiating skills
- Willing to work overtime as necessary, depending on volume of work in office, to meet company guidelines and goals.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to handle requests within company guidelines and goals.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to work with multiple interruptions
- Work in a sitting position for several hours
- Knowledge of Lotus and ImageRight software programs
- Knowledge of Company rating program
- Willing and able to travel
Education and/or Experience
- 10 years - Marine Underwriting Experience
- CPCU or Marine Designation Preferred