Property & Casualty Underwriter
Location: Portage, Michigan
Salary: benefits, 401k, annual bonus
To successfully collaborate with brokers/agents in an underwriting role resulting in premium growth and profitability. Help third parties sell to end source in a competitive market over a short sales cycle and to compete against incumbent vendors, price and/or industry leaders. To quote, issue, and service commercial accounts via phone, e-mail, and fax in a manner which creates an exceptional customer experience.
Essential Job Functions:
• Quote or decline new business by evaluating the submissions for acceptability to company underwriting guidelines including review of applications, websites and loss runs.
• Quote or non-renew existing business by analyzing the file to verify if it still fits company underwriting guidelines, obtaining renewal information, checking loss runs, and utilizing all available internal markets.
• Bind and set up policies for issuance
• Phone calls to customers and companies, returning customer calls and making calls to company underwriters for assistance on account service issues.
• Maintain daily workflow in ImageRight by analyzing, handling or forwarding to the techs daily tasks for processing.
• Meet service standard requirements
• Make regular tele-sales calls as directed by manager
• Write SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) and Idea Suggestions by following guidelines as determined by team goals.
• Maintain underwriting knowledge by attending underwriter training meetings at JM Wilson and insurance carriers also by reviewing company underwriting changes and manual updates.
• Back up others in the department and company by answering phone calls, handling customer service needs, quotes, binding and handling rush items.
• Meet premium volume goal after 2 years in the position
• Average PJR score over year prior must be at least 5
• Perform other duties at the direction of management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Detail accuracy
• Effective decision making and negotiating skills
• Willing to work overtime as necessary, depending on volume of work in office, to meet company guidelines and goals.
• Effective time management skills with the ability to handle requests within company guidelines and goals.
• Effective organizational skills with the ability to work with multiple interruptions
• Work in a sitting position for several hours
• Knowledge of Lotus and ImageRight software programs
• Knowledge of Company rating program
• Willing and able to travel