Director of Public Affairs (2062BR) District of Columbia, USA
Danfoss, a global market leader in air-conditioning, heating, refrigeration, water and motion systems has an opening for a Director of Public Affairs within our North American region.
The Director of Public Affairs is responsible for advocating the strategic priorities of Danfoss within Congress, the Administration, leading industry and electric utility organizations, leading electric utilities and leading energy/environmental advocacy NGOs. This position will be based in our North American headquarters in Baltimore County, Maryland but will require travel into Washington, DC for 1-2 days a week. This position reports directly to the President of North America.
- Focus efforts on critical issues in the HVACR, water and motion industries including energy efficiency, refrigerant policy and other strategic priorities
- Lobby for Danfoss on strategic priorities with Congress, DOE, EPA, and leading energy and environmental advocacy NGOs, establishing relevant and influential relationships
- Position Danfoss as an industry leader within relevant industry organizations,
- Advocate the energy efficiency and demand response capabilities of Danfoss products and Danfoss' customers' products to leading electric utilities and electric utility organizations, seeking both utility support and incentive programs.
- Seek and develop relevant writing and speaking opportunities to project Danfoss as an industry thought leader.
- Prioritize strategic initiatives to position Danfoss for the future.
- Collaborate across multiple divisions
- Develop effective relationships with counterparts in our customers' organizations and other firms with objectives similar to Danfoss
- Support Danfoss management as requested
Basic Minimum Skills/Traits Required
- 10 to 15 years' professional experience in the Electrical or HVACR industry required
- 3 to 5 years' experience within the area of motors and/or variable frequency drives is required.
- 2 to 3 years' experience with electric utilities related to their energy efficiency and demand response programs is desired.
- 5 years' experience in lobbying in Washington DC (can be concurrent with other experience) highly desired.
- Experience in working with leading trade associations such as the Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and leading NGOs such as the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE) and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
- Bachelor’s degree required with a major in electrical or mechanical engineering highly preferred, and an MBA or masters of public policy degree desired
- Effective cultural, communication and networking skills
- Must be organized, self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Travel (outside Baltimore-Washington area) - 10% nationally and internationally
Danfoss offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a generous 401K plan and work-life balance. Danfoss is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.