Staff Attorney (362) Napa, California
Delicato Family Vineyards has an immediate career opportunity for a Staff Attorney in our Napa office.
Delicato Family Vineyards is a family-owned California winery founded in 1924. Three generations of the Indelicato family have guided grapes from vineyard to bottle and into homes and dining establishments around the world. Delicato Family Vineyards is steadfastly committed to crafting and representing wines of the highest quality produced in accordance with sustainable winegrowing practices. Among the leading and fastest growing wine companies in America, the Delicato Family Vineyards’ portfolio includes Gnarly Head, Black Stallion Estate Winery, Noble Vines, Belle Ambiance, Juxtapoz, HandCraft Artisan Collection, La Merika, Brazin, Bota Box, Massimo, Irony, Domino, Sequin and Twisted”.
Position Summary: Delicato Family Vineyards is looking for a talented Staff Attorney with significant transactional experience—including contracts and trademark expertise—to support the General Counsel and overall business in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with a growing family-owned and operated winery. The Staff Attorney will assist the Legal Department to develop, support, and maintain contract management and knowledge management systems, policies and processes. The attorney will also develop template documents and agreements and design training to implement new agreements and processes, draft and negotiate complex agreements (in particular for sourcing and procurement matters, marketing, and other agreements as necessary), and advise on trademark prosecution and enforcement, including clearance opinions, infringement enforcement, and copyright and domain name matters. Opportunity to work on other matters as determined by business needs. Impeccable communication skills and ability to advise senior executives and maintain strict confidentiality a must.
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates routine agreements and assists with complex agreements.
- Oversees and manages trademark portfolio management, reviews and provides trademark clearance opinions, and files applications, maintenance documents, and Office Action responses, including management and oversight of outside counsel supporting this work.
- Supports Legal and Compliance Departments through the development, implementation, and maintenance of contract lifecycle system.
- Assists the VP & General Counsel in evaluating effectiveness of current contract review policies and researches, designs, and implements new policies and processes as required.
- Assists the VP & General Counsel and cross-functional team in reviewing, developing, evaluating, implementing, and maintaining comprehensive knowledge management program, including document management and retention and e-discovery.
- Develops and maintains templates for routine commercial transactions.
- Works with business and functional leaders as required to assess and advise on legal matters.
- Performs domain name registrations and reconciles disputes.
- Corresponds and coordinates with foreign associates regarding prosecution and enforcement matters.
- Researches legal and business issues as required.
- Manages outside legal counsel as required ensuring competency of work and meeting deadlines.
The ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s and Juris Doctor degree and is a member in good standing with the California Bar. Minimum of 3 years of experience as a transactional attorney in a law firm or in-house legal department. Consumer products industry experience required, with wine industry experience strongly preferred. The selected candidate must have seasoned management of all aspects of the contract lifecycle and workflow and an expert understanding of legal contract terminology and negotiations. Excellent written communication skills for contract drafting, creating reports/presentations, and extensive business and legal correspondence; aptitude in effectively presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Thorough understanding of trademark law, USPTO databases and filing requirements, and international trademark filing and maintenance requirements. Experience with trademark prosecution and enforcement, including oppositions and TTAB proceedings. Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, creative, and organization skills required, demonstrated by the ability to make timely and sound decisions. Adept at reading, analyzing, interpreting, and negotiating legal documents; ability to read/analyze reports, trade journals, and brand related materials. Strong computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) required.
Delicato offers its employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance components include medical, dental and vision, where Delicato covers nearly the entire cost for employees and a large percentage for dependents. Additional health benefits include life, disability and flexible spending accounts. Other benefits include 401(k) with generous company match, discretionary profit sharing, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine & merchandise discounts, tuition reimbursement, gym discounts & many more.