Health & Safety Solicitor
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Salary: GBP38000 - GBP60000 per annum
International firm is looking for a solicitor 3PQE+ with experience in regulatory Health & Safety to join the team in Newcastle
- Working within our Newcastle SHE team you will both assist senior fee earners and run your own defence case load encompassing a range of regulatory issues with supervision and support from partners and associates
- You will have some experience of regulatory work – ideally, this will include advising on any of the following - health and safety incident investigations, interviews under caution, prosecutions, environmental breaches, breaches of trading standards, food law and/or fire safety. Candidates with experience of financial services regulation will also be considered. Inquest experience is beneficial
- The work will include managing a range of contentious and non-contentious regulatory issues for a variety of clients.
- The lawyer will be required to handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols with supervision. Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrate sound file management – to include compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols and any client protocols as required; consistent and accurate billing and credit control; management of WIP and file closures; updating Management Information
- Assume responsibility for quality control and benchmark compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information
- Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year
- Employ a consistent approach to achieving individual targets of financial performance including realisation rates
- Maintain an understanding of other practice areas and an active internal network with other fee earners, associates and partners across the firm and ensure that own profile is maintained within the firm to facilitate cross-referral of work and support the firm’s integrated services strategy
- Assist with business development activities with a view to establishing new revenue streams for the firm. Where appropriate assist in the preparation and delivery of pitches, presentations and training events.
- Build an awareness of DAC Beachcroft's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
- Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
- Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols
The Ideal Candidate
- 2-5 PQE Solicitor with experience gained within a regulatory and commercially focused environment.
- Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- Willingness to travel at short notice in order to assist clients to manage situations on the ground as they happen
- Demonstrate knowledge and technical skills as well as a commercial understanding of the client’s business
- Some relevant experience in advising upon and defending companies/ individuals relating to a broad range of regulatory breaches.
- Display a willingness (and ideally previous experience) of business development activities
- Excellent commercial understanding and awareness
- The ability to deliver services to our clients which are both of high quality and value for money
- Excellent legal drafting, analytical and negotiating skills
- Demonstrate ability and exceed budgetary requirements in terms of both time and fee income
- Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
- Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
- Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with both senior and junior colleagues across different locations and practice groups is essential
- IT literate with good knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of a case management system is also essential as are good keyboard skills
Please check the job details, then fill in your details below and click "Submit now".
* Indicates a required field.