Computational Media Engineer (5863) Kelburn, Wellington Central, New Zealand
We're seeking talented software engineer and programmers to join our team at the forefront of digital media.
- As part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects with a focus on delivering high-quality outcomes for the future.
- You'll have the chance to contribute to develop novel intellectual properties, while honing your engineering and programming skills.
- Most excitingly, you'll play a critical role in developing product-ready prototypes for the next generation of media platforms with global industry partners (including but not limited to the leading ICT/media/entertainment companies from US, South Korea, Japan, and New Zealand), helping to shape the future of the industry.
If you're passionate about digital media and want to be a part of a dynamic team at the forefront of the field, we'd love to hear from you.
Mō Te Herenga Waka - About Our University
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand's globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is currently recruiting a Computational Media Engineer to join Computational Media Innovation Centre on a fixed-term contract. The role will provide excellent software development and engineering skills to develop a pathway link between CMIC’s computational media research outcomes and an industry media platform in order to deliver the global impacts and benefit to New Zealand through TEC’s Entrepreneurial University Initiatives (EUI) programme.
- Monitor rapidly changing industry technology and media platforms, investigate their interfaces and functionality, and evaluate their availability and efficiency to integrate or adapt CMIC’s IPs.
- Contribute to the innovation and iteration of CMIC’s intellectual property and assets, developing the interface and integrating IPs into industry media platforms.
- Solve engineering problems to adapt CMIC IPs, refine and iterate the solution under the guidance of the key inventors of the IPs, and innovate the media platform interface.
- Develop the interface for the media application, system, and platform engaging with industry and/or end-user partners.
- Support setup, installation, operation of research and prototype demonstrations developed by CMIC staff and students at both internal and external events
- Support application developers for their efficient workflow to use the Computational Media system and platform.
Ō pūmanawa - About you
You will be highly organised self-starter and natural relationship builder, who relishes working autonomously as well as contributing positively to a high performing team. You will need effective time management and forward planning to balance meeting deadlines and maintain a high standard of service to both students and staff. The ability to remain calm under pressure and thrive working with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- 5+ years of professional experience developing media platforms and software applications
- Honours, Masters or the equivalent qualifications in Computer Science, Software Engineering, and the related areas
- Strong programming skills with a solid understanding of engineering techniques, methodologies and attention to detail
- Strong software engineering skills
- Proficiency with Software Development Tools (SDK)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a variety of projects
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies and tasks
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe - Why you should join our team
CMIC was established to innovate the Computational and Interactive Media sector in New Zealand and embed its research outputs in established and new entrepreneurial enterprises. Our vision is to be a global hub for the digital media frontier, where we innovate the countries computational media ecosystem, lead the 3I (immersive, interactive, and intelligent) media technology, and deliver value to humanity. The centre research programmes have resulted in a strong intellectual property portfolio in 3I media technologies ready to be packaged into commercially available media platforms for wide economic impacts.
Close Date for Vacancy: 31 March 2023 (application may close early if filled)
Contact Details for Vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Katy (Katy Kelly, firstname.lastname@example.org). But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important - Application Steps and information
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Then, please combine your cover letter, CV and the University Application Form into a single file (preferably in pdf format).
Click Apply Now Button at the base of the advert. Follow the process to enter your contact details and attach your combined file (CV, cover letter and the University application form) using the “CV/Resume” button.
If you have any issues uploading your application, please email the completed application form, cover letter and CV to email@example.com stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.