Senior Scientist (5456) Gracefield, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
- Do you hold a PhD in Materials Science or Engineering?
- Are you able to consistently deliver agreed outputs to a professional standard?
- Do you have experience in carrying out complex theoretical and/or experimental projects?
Mō Te Herenga Waka - About Our University
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand's globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is currently recruiting a Senior Scientist to join the Materials team on a 36-month fixed term contract.
The successful candidate will take a senior role within the materials team and work with external collaborators GNS & UoA to achieve contracted milestones within a funded MBIE research programme on wirelessly powered transport infrastructure for a low-carbon future.
Work will primarily entail:
- Development and characterisation soft magnetic composite materials for inductive power transfer.
- Production of high-quality research publications.
- Familiarity with COMSOL Multiphysics (and/or ANSYS).
- Management of the Magnetic Properties Lab and sample preparation laboratories at Robinson Research Institute with the assistance of the lab technician.
In addition to this, you will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of research projects within the Paihau-Robinson Research Institute, contribute to / lead new funding applications, lead small research teams, supervise graduate students, continue building a publication portfolio, engage with academic or industrial collaborators worldwide, and participate in commercialisation of successful ideas.
You will also be involved with Institute outreach activities whenever possible and contribute to internal and external funding applications.
Ō pūmanawa - About you
You will be a motivated, customer-focused individual who can take the initiative.
You will thrive in this role with an excellent manner with people, an ability to influence and manage conflict, strong attention to detail, and self-management skills. This role is busy, challenging, extremely rewarding and interesting for the individual with the right temperament.
You will be a highly organised self-starter and natural relationship builder, who relishes working autonomously as well as contributing positively to a high performing team. You will need effective time management and forward planning to balance meeting deadlines and maintain a high standard of service to both students and staff. The ability to remain calm under pressure and thrive working with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- A PhD in Materials Science or Engineering.
- Comprehensive understanding of technical issues.
- Proven experience in carrying out complex theoretical and/or experimental projects.
- The ability to manage a small team or people to achieve milestones on-time.
- Plan and manage own work effectively and assist others.
- Consistently deliver agreed outputs to a professional standard.
- Proven experience of contributing to projects with a high degree of difficulty requiring logical and conceptual problem-solving skills.
- Understand the importance of focusing outputs to meet Institute & University strategic goals.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage work and involve others to meet outputs.
- Proven experience with consistently producing high quality outputs which have made a significant contribution to their specialist field.
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe - Why you should join our team
The Paihau-Robinson Research Institute has an international reputation for superconducting engineering, materials physics and manufacturing engineering. We offer a unique opportunity for a high-achieving scientist to work alongside some of NZ’s top research scientists and engineers and contribute to a range of cutting-edge research projects that involve the development of new concepts in materials and manufacturing - from discovery science through to commercial implementation.
Close Date for Vacancy: 02 December 2022
Contact Details for Vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Shen Chong, on (04) 4630072 or Shen.Chong@vuw.ac.nz
Important - Application Steps and information
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Then, please combine your cover letter, CV and the University Application Form into a single file (preferably in pdf format).
Click Apply Now Button at the base of the advert. Follow the process to enter your contact details and attach your combined file (CV, cover letter and the University application form) using the “CV/Resume” button.
If you have any issues uploading your application, please email the completed application form, cover letter and CV to email@example.com stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.