Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Mātauranga Māori, CSIS (4380) Kelburn, Wellington Central, New Zealand
- Do you have a relevant PhD?
- Are you familiar with some part of mātauranga Māori?
- Do you have experience in delivering learning at a tertiary level?
Mō Te Herenga Waka - About Our University
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand's globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington seeks a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer/Pūkenga, Pūkenga Matua in the Centre for Science in Society, in its Faculty of Science. The Centre is committed to interdisciplinary research, teaching and engagement about the relationships between society, mātauranga Māori, science, environment, technology and medicine in Aotearoa, the Pacific, Asia and the world.
Key Responsibilities of this role include:
- Delivering mātauranga Māori content to the Centre’s undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes.
- Advancing and disseminating a programme of research that incorporates mātauranga Māori, attracts external funding and postgraduate research students.
- Engaging with external parties on science-inflected issues, including iwi, local and national government and non-governmental organisations.
- Mentoring, advocating and providing leadership for Māori students and staff in the Centre, Faculty and University.
Ō pūmanawa - About you
You will be an enthusiastic teacher, able to deliver learning via a variety of media and to be attuned to the challenges of tertiary study for a wide range of students. You will be able to motivate Māori and non-Māori students to understand and apply mātauranga Māori i ngā mahi pūtaiao (in science). You will have, or be developing, a record of scholarly research, publication and/or creative work. You will work well with a diverse team of academic and professional staff, engage with other academic and external communities and be prepared to take a leadership role in developing the tikanga of the Centre.
- A PhD in a science discipline or in mātauranga Māori or at the interface of science and society.
- Experience in delivering learning at tertiary level.
- Knowledge of some part of mātauranga Māori.
- Research experience in a field relevant to the role.
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe - Why you should join our team
We strive to create an inclusive, critical, intellectually playful, diverse, welcoming, purposeful, and dynamic academic environment to enable our staff and students to pursue professional and personal goals while living balanced and sustainable lives. We offer flexible working arrangements, learning & development opportunities including Te reo Māori, and developmental and financial support for early-career and established academics.
Closing Date for Vacancy: 11 July 2022
Contact Details for Vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with the Centre’s Acting Director, Peter Donelan (+64 4 463 5659, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important - Application Steps and information
For applicants who are not NZ Citizens or Permanent Residents, we recommend you check the NZ Immigration website for updates related to Covid19 restrictions on entry to New Zealand: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Click the Apply Now Button at the base of the advert, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV in the online form.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position then email the completed application form, cover letter and any other supporting documentation to email@example.com stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.