Pasifika Law Research Assistant (30141) Pipitea, Wellington Central, New Zealand
- Fixed Term Pasifika Law Research Assistant (0.5FTE, until April 2022)
- Do you have a demonstrable understanding of Pasifika language(s) and culture(s)?
- Are you a team player who is able to take on and deliver on individual responsibilities?
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is currently recruiting a Pasifika Law Research Assistant to support an exciting research project to identify the barriers and interventions for supporting Pacific people to succeed in law school and to take up a career in the legal profession.
To identify those interventions, the research project seeks to address the following questions:
- What are the barriers and challenges to entering law school, completing law school, entering the law profession, and achieving and leading within the law profession?
- What interventions would address the barriers and challenges?
- What interventions have been trialled and what were the outcomes from these interventions? (Considering interventions specific to equity in legal education and Pasifika in education, as well as more broadly looking at equity interventions in education and internationally).
- What interventions are recommended and how should these be implemented and tested?
The Pasifika Law Research Assistant will support the establishment of a collaborative research hub as the platform to conduct the first phase of this research. The hub will engage law academics and others interested in Pasifika and the Law to take an interdisciplinary approach to:
- Developing and implementing interventions
- Evaluating interventions, and
- Fostering Pasifika into the legal profession and legal academia.
Whilst based within the Law Faculty at Victoria University of Wellington, the Pasifika Law Research Assistant will establish coordinated action across Aotearoa New Zealand Universities to bring students and practising lawyers together with academics and policymakers to identify barriers, evaluate and implement interventions.
- To support the Pasifika Law Research Fellow in conducting a literature review of research on the experience of Pacific peoples at law school and in the legal profession.
- To support the Pasifika Law Research Fellow to establish an online collaboration hub.
- To support the Pasifika Law Research Fellow in building engagement across various stakeholder groups and facilitate multi-disciplinary ‘talanoa’ (conversations) amongst leaders including policymakers, educators, researchers, students, legal professionals and community groups with an interest in Pasifika from across Aotearoa New Zealand.
- To provide support to the Pasifika Law Research Fellow as necessary in producing and delivering a report summarising findings of the 20-month project.
- A proven track record of building and engaging Pasifika community networks
- Demonstrated understanding of Pasifika language(s) and culture(s).
- A law degree
- Capability to work as part of a team as well as having individual responsibilities
Close Date for Vacancy: 15th November 2020
Contact Details for Vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Hon Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban (Winnie.email@example.com) But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is New Zealand’s globally ranked capital city university, focused on engaging with Wellington, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific region and connecting with the world. The University values the expertise of its professional staff in supporting and enabling teaching, research and engagement activities.
Victoria University of Wellington is an EEO employer and actively seeks to meet its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi. We care about your privacy and personal information. You can review the University's privacy notice or alternatively find out more about working at the University using the links at the top of the current vacancies page.
Important - Application Steps.
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Click Apply Now Button at the base of the advert, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV in the online form.
Email completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any further supporting documents stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.