Senior Scientist (3039) Gracefield, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
- Do you have a strong background in Fiber Optic Sensing, Applied Physics, Materials Engineering, HTS Engineering, Cryogenic Engineering or in a similar field?
- Are you able to supervise and mentor junior researchers and engineers?
- Are you a strong team player, who is able to work closely with collaborators from multiple partner organisations?
Mō Te Herenga Waka - About Our University
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand's globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is currently seeking a 1.0 FTE Senior Scientist with ambition to develop their research career within an academic R&D environment and the ability to conceptualise and originate new ideas that are outside industry norms.
You will assist in the management of a small team including technical staff, Post-docs & PhD students, developing and integrating a fiber optic quench detection system for HTS fusion magnets.
- Work closely with the programme’s Science Leader to deliver the objectives of the programme.
- Work as part of a team to design new fiber optic sensors for use in extreme environments (<50 K, >10 T, >50,000 A).
- Take responsibility to manage a small team delivering aspects of this programme.
- Write and edit academic papers, as well as invention disclosures (for new IP).
- Design and construct fixtures, and experimental assemblies to perform analysis of system performance.
- Solve integration of optical sensors and sensing instruments into commercial applications.
- Engage with external partners with interests in commercialising technology arising from the programme.
Ō pūmanawa - About you
The preferred candidate will have some or all of:
- Strong background in Fiber Optic Sensing, Applied Physics, Materials Engineering, HTS Engineering, Cryogenic Engineering or similar field and will hold a PhD in a related topic.
- Excellent technical skills including:
- Experience with fiber optics
- Experience with integrating sensing into applications
- Experience with a wide range of laboratory test equipment
- Experience in mechanical design using Solidworks
- Experience in mechanical and electrical prototyping, instrumentation or manufacturing process design
- Engineering for challenging environments
- Scientific programming and control using MatLab / Labview and the ability to manage complex engineering projects
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and mentor junior researchers and engineers.
- Strong written communication skills, and an academic publication record appropriate to career opportunities and stage.
- Strong team player able to work closely with collaborators from multiple partner organisations.
- Flexible thinker with the drive and imagination to develop new entirely processes which can radically change established industry approaches.
The Senior Scientist would take a senior role within the team, leading bid development, taking responsibility & leading research projects, supervising PhD and Masters students as well as mentoring new and emerging researchers and engineers. Academic publication is required.
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe - Why you should join our team
The Robinson Research Institute has an international reputation for superconducting engineering, materials physics and manufacturing engineering. We offer a unique opportunity for exceptional staff to assist some of NZ’s top research scientists and engineers working on a range of cutting-edge research projects that involve the development of new concepts in materials and manufacturing - from discovery science through to commercial implementation.
Robinson is a diverse, multidisciplinary team that melds innovative engineering and applied physics to build advanced technologies for the industry worldwide.
Close Date for Vacancy: 9 January 2022
Contact Details for Vacancy: If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Jeannie Redman, 64 4 463 0082 email@example.com. But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important - Application Steps and information
For applicants who are not NZ Citizens or Permanent Residents, we recommend you check the NZ Immigration website for updates related to Covid19 restrictions on entry to New Zealand: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Click Apply Now Button at the base of the advert, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV in the online form.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position then email the completed application form, cover letter and any other supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.