Electronics Design Engineer
Location: Bedfordshire, England
Salary: GBP35000 - GBP60000 per annum
Our client is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Hardware Electronics Design Engineer for the programmes within the Vehicles Business Area. The role is to develop, test and support Firmware and FPGA designs through to qualification for ground based vehicles.
You will be part of a team reviewing System specifications, writing and capturing product functional requirements, producing VHDL, performing analysis, simulation and testing of the Firmware and FPGA designs.
The candidate will be expected to take responsibility for technical decisions of a particular part of the product design, documenting design decisions throughout development and will also need to work with minimal supervision. Further, communicating with internal functions, to ensure all views are gauged and understood before, during and after delivery of the detailed design.
Reporting to the Design Team Lead, the candidate is expected to take responsibility for the design, development and support of Firmware and FPGA solutions from concept to completion following a detailed development process. Provide guidance and governance to the team in the integration of the deliverables, supporting as necessary assembly and installation. Provide direction to the project team against specification requirements and further supporting design review activities. Define processes, specifications, and procedures that support the design and manufacture of the solutions. Provide direction to develop scope of work, metrics, schedules and budgets. Engage in the technical detail as an integral member of the team.
The core competences and qualifications for the job are:
• Formal qualification such as HNC/HND/BEng.
• Experience in Firmware Product Development.
• Experience in FPGA (or ASIC) Design and Verification.
• Ability to derive FPGA architectures & requirements from System requirements.
• Experience of using FPGA vendor tools (e.g. Altera/Xilinx/Actel) or third party tools (e.g. Aldec/MentorGraphics) for simulation, synthesis and implementation.
• Excellent VHDL coding skills.
• Ability to produce technical documentation to support all activities, from problem reports, to design reviews and final assembly/test instructions.
• Ability to work in accordance with Firmware process and procedures.
• Strong team player with good written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to co-ordinate various stakeholders into unified approach.
• Self managing, driven to get the results needed, great organisational skills.
• Flexibility in tasks undertaken.
The role requires a working knowledge of the following skills, hence, experience in these areas will be an advantage:
• Microprocessor Design and Interfaces, both digital and analogue, serial and parallel.
• Experience of using DOORS for requirements capture.
• Experience of Schematic Capture and PCB Layout.
• Embedded I/O interfaces – Differential/Single Ended/Safety Discrete interfaces.
• JTAG Design and Programming.
• Awareness of DO-254 and IEC61508 Design techniques for complex logic devices.
• Relevant experience/understanding of the expectations of being employed in a safety critical marketplace (e.g. aerospace/medical/military).
• Ability to support and manage aspects of Assembly, Integration and Test
The Electronics Design Engineer role will involve working on UK classified programmes the candidate must therefore be willing and able to obtain a security clearance.
Please check the job details, then fill in your details below and click "Submit now".