Location: Stevenage, England
Our world leading, multi-national client based in Stevenage is currently looking for an AIT Mechanical Satellite Engineer to join their team on an initial 6 month period. The successful candidate will provide Assembly Integration and test (AIT) mechanical engineering support based on robust processes, activity control sheets (ACSs) and procedures, for the assembly and integration of earth, navigation and scientific spacecraft. They will support spacecraft environmental testing including thermal, vibration, payload deployment, and shock testing, as well as support spacecraft launch activities at launch site including spacecraft handling and coordination of mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE). The Mechanical Satellite Engineer will lead the design, manufacture and procurement of MGSE for use during spacecraft AIT and resolve non-conformance to the design.
• Support in the creation of documentation required for the production phases, including ACS inputs, work instructions, and procedures.
• Support Process Owner team in all aspects of their role.
• Writing spacecraft build & test documentation and leading its acceptance until completion of successful integration readiness review, as well as writing build documentation and resolving non-conformances from an AIT perspective.
• Leading lifting/ handling of the spacecraft as operations director, and oversee and support integration activities on the spacecraft.
• Supporting the AIT Lead Engineer in periods of high workload, as well as support process owners with observation resolution and operational activities.
• Support in the production of re-work instructions based on project requirements and identify parts and tooling required to carry them out.
• Design of tooling (MGSE) / build aids for assembly execution
• Produce new processes, undertake process improvement and maintenance and monitor process implementation in operations.
• Good understanding and experience of mechanical systems, spacecraft AIT and Nitrogen purge systems.
• Environmental testing (Vibration, Acoustic, Mass properties, Thermal)
• Mechanical integration of mechanisms, black boxes, antennas, solar arrays, mechanical sub-systems, instruments, and payloads.
• Understanding of configuration control and ‘as design as built’ status.
QUALIFICATION LEVEL REQUIRED:
Minimum of HNC level in a Mechanical discipline. A lesser qualification is acceptable if a high level of similar industry experience can be demonstrated.
High mechanical skills and relevant experience.
Procedures and process control.
Able to work offsite (UK and abroad) for undefined periods at short notice.
Able to support out of normal hours work using the “on call” rota process.
Practical and proactive.
Quality driven approach with high attention to detail.
Knowledge and experience in the production of high quality documentation (test specs, test plans, test procedures, AIT Plans, DDV plans).
High self-motivation and ability to deal with changing priorities on a multi project basis.
ISO 8 Clean room practices.
Good problem solving skills (technical, logistics and organisational), as well as good planning skills and process competence, (MRP system experience an advantage).
Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
Appreciation of satellite AIT processes and project phases.
Experience of Lean engineering and MRP systems such as SAP.
Optical alignment of equipment using theodolites.
Mechanical design / validation experience
Knowledge of continuous improvement philosophies
Knowledge of Health and Safety principles and their application to the specific environment
Rudimentary understanding of RF properties and associated risks.
Please check the job details, then fill in your details below and click "Submit now".