Location: Stansted, England
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Fitter to join a market leading company based in Stansted on a permanent basis. They will help support the team by testing, inspecting, repairing and overhauling a large and varied range of aviation equipment. This will consist of electrical components & fire extinguishers, from GCU’s, emergency power supplies, contactors to automatic and handheld fire extinguishers, as well as DC Starter Generators, AC Generators, Motors, Actuators and Constant Speed Drive (CSD) / Integrated Drive (IDG) Generators.
The successful candidate will have knowledge in any of the below:
• Disassembling, cleaning, testing, inspecting, repairing and assembling electrical / fire extinguisher components as well as valve and cylinder assemblies.
• Overhauling and repairing generators, gearboxes and motors and their associated sub-assemblies; including disassembly, cleaning and inspection.
• Testing components according to CMM instructions and replacing all defective parts for overhauling components, as well as being able to operate a variety of test equipment to include bore gauges, verniers, micrometers and digital multimeters.
• Repairing faulty components down to component level (i.e. resistors, capacitors, diodes and IC's), while having the experience in soldering, including removing and fitting electronic components.
• Undertaking hydrostatic testing of cylinders and charging of complete assemblies (up to 4500 PSI)
• Inspecting individual parts, while carrying out thorough cleaning of components, and re-assembling the components.
• Disassembling fire extinguisher bottles (including safe retrieval of dirty halon), while replacing standard spares as part of the overhaul process and charging fire extinguishers with clean serviceable halon.
• Disassembling, testing, fault finding and repairing various safety equipment, slides and rafts as well as the reassembly.
The Fitter will possess training in charging and overhaul of cylinders, fire extinguishers, oxygen or halon and have a working knowledge of interpreting and following in detail compliance manuals. They will be experienced in 3 phase and single phase, and have knowledge of Ohm’s Law. The candidate will have previous experience of working with compressed gas systems, charging cylinders and overhauling components, as well as experience working with Halon and Oxygen systems as well as having an appreciation of ESD (Electro Static Discharge).
The successful candidate will be able to overhaul and repair various aircraft safety equipment and associated sub-assemblies; which include escape slides, rafts, life jackets, survival kits and water makers.
Experienced in repairing and packing aircraft safety equipment, as well as having OEM training in maintenance and overhaul of safety equipment.
Previous experience of IDG’s / CSD’s, overhauling gear boxes, generators and motors. Practical working experience of pistons and piston blocks, wobblers, governors and pumps, as well as previous lapping and honing experience.
• ONC / HND in Engineering or equivalent
• Numerate and literate - minimum GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English
An ability to work to tight deadlines is essential, whilst maintaining a high degree of quality, workmanship, attention to detail and compliance with health and safety regulations. Working within a small team of skilled technicians, reliability, flexibility and team work are key skill requirements, while having previous experience of working in an engineering/workshop environment.
Working Hours: 39 hour week; 08.00 – 16.30 Monday to Thursday and 08.00 – 15.30 Friday
Please check the job details, then fill in your details below and click "Submit now".