Location: Bedford, England
Our client, who is the leading brand for surface water drainage systems throughout the world, is currently looking for a Design Engineer to assist in the creation of design solutions, using our standard drainage products, and to provide design advice and details for our bespoke items. The role will be a permanent position based in Bedford.
This role focuses on answering technical questions from clients on the telephone as well as using AutoCAD and Inventor to draw up solutions for clients. Once you are fully conversant with our products and design software, the role will expand into technical overviews and product specific installations. Ultimately this role will include site visits to advise customers and represent the company, and to assist the field sales team in technical discussions.
• Create drawings for approval by customer and create/modify drawings to include details in order to progress product into production.
• Configure / Programme design software to facilitate the production of sheet metal developments.
• Give advice on suitable products in various applications and include site installation procedures, and deal with and record enquiries by telephone and email.
• Be cognisant of estimating and commercial office duties and projects and to advise and assist when required.
• Provide cost build up information of purpose made products, as well as provide Hydraulic flow calculations using specialist software.
• Understand the advantages and disadvantages of working with stainless steel components 0.9mm to 3.00mm thickness.
• Attend regular meetings with Design and Production management.
• Comply with health and safety requirements for the tasks and working environment, and liaise with other offices as appropriate.
Knowledge & Skills
• Use of AutoCAD & Inventor / 3D Design Software
• Basic sheet metal fabrication knowledge including welding.
• Able to read engineering / architectural drawings.
• Good level of numeracy.
• Able to plan and prioritise your own work, and able to multi task.
• Able to respond to short lead times which requires a flexible approach.
• Timely decision-making.
• Good spoken and written communication skills.
• Able to build good relationships, and able to impart knowledge to develop others.
• Intermediate compute skills Excel, Word, Outlook and CRM.
Personal skills and behaviour
• Customer focussed.
• Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised.
• Able to work under pressure.
• Able to look for continuous improvement and to implement actions.
• Able to learn and develop new skills.
• Accurate with a good attention to detail.
Please check the job details, then fill in your details below and click "Submit now".