CFD Principal Specialist (PCK477-16761) Southampton, England
1. About Lloyd’s Register
The Lloyd’s Register Group is an internationally recognised global technical business with offices in 246 locations covering 186 countries. A pre-eminent figure in the shipping industry, we provide a first class service to enhance safety at sea, on land, and in the air.
The UK based Engineering Group is the largest in our organisation and Centre of Global expertise. Based in our state of the art Global Technology Centre in Southampton, the well-established and friendly team include internationally renowned technical experts in many engineering disciplines.
2. About the role:
Lloyds Register have a reputation for impartiality and technical excellence, and are looking to recruit an experienced Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) specialist with the attributes to potentially manage a team of CFD specialists providing specialist consultancy services to the marine industry
• Monitoring of developments in the industry and competitors and influencing the commercial strategy to help improve Lloyd’s Register’s competitive positioning.
• Being a Lloyd’s Register subject matter expert in Computational Fluid Dynamics and ensuring consistency and strategic alignment globally in the technical discipline of Fluid Dynamics.
• Applying and developing CFD solutions mainly in the field of marine hydrodynamics;
• Applying and developing methods and processes for producing environmentally friendly and fuel efficient designs;
• Working effectively within a multidisciplinary consultancy team;
You will be required to liaise closely with clients and build strong personal and technical relationships.
• The role may involve performance reviews of reporting team, mentoring, and coaching.
• Applicants should have a degree in Naval Architecture, with a Masters in CFD or preferably PhD in CFD, or equivalent with a strong background in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Fluid Mechanics.
• Proven practical industry experience within Fluid Dynamics is a must have.
• Applicants must be experienced in using CFD codes, such as ccm+ or OpenFOAM, while some practical knowledge of FEA and structural dynamics would be highly beneficial. An up-to-date knowledge of programming languages such as C++ and Java or Fortran is desirable.
• A proven record of establishing good client relationships is essential as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills and a good knowledge of office software tools and operating systems (Linux and Windows).
3. What we offer
Our new Global Technology Centre (GTC) is strategically positioned to be at the heart of the UK marine industry. Located on Southampton University’s Innovation and Technology campus, the GTC brings together academic research, engineering excellence and industry stakeholders. On offer is the opportunity to work with industry experts and benefit from the world-class facilities and qualifications offered by our University partners.
In addition to range of training and development opportunities, we offer a mammoth benefits package which includes a generous pension plan, private health care and flexi-time.
LR is one of only 68 organisations to have been independently certified by the CRF Institute as Top Employers for Energy UK and one of only 20 organisations to be awarded the honour across all business streams within Europe.