Education Context Adviser, Borno (ECA) Borno State, Nigeria
The Education Context Adviser will provide technical leadership as well as strategic support to the project team. The Education Context Adviser will work closely with other Technical Specialists including the Teacher Education and Reading Specialists and the senior project team to ensure education project’s design and implementation adhere to international norms and standards of conflict sensitivity, specifically the INEE Conflict Sensitive Education pack, and address both the direct and indirect impacts of conflict within the project to promote positive gains for students and teachers in the project areas. The Education Context Adviser will be required to travel to field sites for project oversight and targeted technical assistance. Additionally, the Education Context Adviser will ensure representation and coordination with project partners and external stakeholders, such as local and international NGOs, CBOs, local and central government authorities as relevant and required.
Key Areas of Accountability
The Education Context Adviser will liaise closely with other technical specialists as well as the Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), and partners to support the project’s objectives. Key responsibilities will include:
- Working with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Adviser, lead on the Rapid Education and Risk Analysis and continued conflict analysis within the education sector to better understand the dynamics of conflict as it influences all aspects of the proposed education program.
- Ensure that the results of the analysis drive the program’s design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation by closely collaborating with the broader project team, empowering staff with essential knowledge and skills through trainings, through trainings and continued technical support, and collaborating with project and partner staff to appropriately monitor and measure impact and progress through a conflict sensitive education lens.
- Prioritize prevention through supporting policies to protect girls and boys from abuse and exploitation and supporting emergency preparedness and readiness through Conflict and Disaster Risk Reduction planning.
- Working with Teacher Education and the Well-being Specialists, promote equity and the holistic development of the child by supporting the delivery of teaching, curriculum and materials that are free of gender and social prejudices and build competencies for responsible citizenship, conflict transformation, and resilience.
- Support education system strengthening and stabilization by enhancing staff capacity and to Ensure the quality of interventions is standardized across the project (approaches, tools, learning etc.)
- Oversee development or contextualization of resources to specifically address conflict sensitivity within reference, training, and guidance materials.
- Support the preparation of timely and quality program reports on project activities in compliance with project requirements.
- The position will be responsible for helping to ensure close engagement of and partnerships with related government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs), donor-funded programs, private/commercial entities, and NGOs.
- Collaborate with other technical leads and the senior management team of the project to assess capacity needs of staff and partners as related specifically to conflict-sensitive education (CSE)
- Contextualize INEE CSE training materials and create Nigeria-specific training materials; work with the MEL Adviser to monitor and evaluate the use of CSE concepts and approaches within the program
- Facilitate training of trainers and support the cascade of training at the state level
- Support and advise projects’ technical team on key decisions
- Provide continuous support to project team in program implementation, reporting, staff capacity building and management, sector coordination and key technical areas
Sub-Sector Coordination Representation & Advocacy:
- Take steps to document lessons learned for wider dissemination with EiE stakeholders at the field and at national levels upon request.
- In collaboration with senior program staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- Identify opportunities and material to contribute to emergency education communications and media work.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- high level of accuracy in work, and the ability to analyze complex sets of relationships and situations
- holds self and others accountable
- creating best-in-class EA function
- future-orientated thinks pro-actively
- working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- designing more effective admin and data management systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.