Residual Heat Service Technicians (43522) Iqaluit, Canada
About Qulliq Energy Corporation
Headquartered in Baker Lake, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is committed to supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut. We generate electricity under the trade name of Nunavut Power, and research alternative energy options in order to meet the long-term needs for power of all Nunavummiut.
About the Opportunity
Qulliq Energy Corporation has an exciting opportunity for experienced Residual Heat Service Technicians to join their team in Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Reporting to the Energy Management Specialist, you will deal primarily with the transfer of energy through hydronic systems and associated components such as heat exchangers, 3-way valves, circulating pumps, boiler systems, energy transfer stations, and associated control systems. Additionally, you will work in cooperation with Engineering and Regional personnel to install and troubleshoot residual heat systems across the Corporation.
This position involves extensive travel in small aircraft to regional communities to perform scheduled maintenance.
More specifically, your key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining and repairing residual heat systems installed at various QEC sites across Nunavut;
- Completing field reports on system status and repairs initiated or completed for respective systems in a timely and professional manner;
- Making routine trips to remote satellite plants for inspection, preventative maintenance, installation and repairs to equipment;
- Providing accurate assessments of equipment and systems, and troubleshooting various mechanical problems both on site and over the telephone;
- Providing on-site solutions and/or modifications to program, bringing systems back online as quickly as possible while interacting with stakeholders to provide a permanent resolution;
- Assisting Regional staff with residual heating system issues;
- Completing trip and equivalent reports;
- Preparing required parts lists;
- Providing estimated labour data and ensuring valid travel for related repairs and troubleshooting;
- Working with other trades and the plant superintendent to ensure proper processes are followed;
- In cooperation with the Engineering department, reviewing design and equipment specifications to ensure that projects meet all regulatory and QEC compliance standards;
- Maintaining maintenance documentation and coordinating with Engineering, operators, Maintenance staff, and Purchasing in order to perform maintenance and repairs;
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment at all times and acting proactively to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of Corporation operations and equipment;
- Participating in project design reviews and/or revisions of existing systems, bringing practical, hands-on experience to the process; and
- Participating in the start-up of new and/or modified systems to ensure that the system operates as per design.
The Ideal Candidate
Qulliq Energy Corporation is seeking candidates who have completed a 4-year apprenticeship program coupled with an inter-provincial Journeyman Boiler Mechanic licence, OR a Journeyman Mechanic licence coupled with several years of experience in the hydronic / heat transfer work environment.
An inter-provincial Journeyman Boiler Mechanic Ticket and valid driver’s licence with a clean driving record, plus eligibility for a valid Nunavut Class 5 driver’s licence, is essential.
Additionally you will have several years of proven journeyman experience in a related work environment and the ability to diagnose mechanical / hydraulic / heat transfer problems and propose solutions.
The ability to interpret drawings, diagrams and specifications of a variety of types of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer’s manuals and parts books will be critical to your success in this position, as will an understanding of diesel engine heat recovery equipment, hydronic systems, heat transfer, boilers, and related equipment.
If you have all of the above, plus excellent communication skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision, Qulliq Energy Corporation would like to hear from you!
About the Benefits
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut!
You can look forward to earning a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance per annum and relocation assistance!
In this unionised position, you will enjoy a healthy work/life balance with a Monday-Friday work week and 16.5 vacation days to start (negotiable).
Plus, you will benefit from genuine career advancement opportunities through working for a company that supports professional development, and strives to promote from within!
By joining Qulliq Energy Corporation, you will become part of a close-knit team of professionals who take pride in a job well done.
If you want to take the next step in your career with a progressive employer, then we invite you to apply now!