Finance Manager (49369) Fort Simpson, Canada
Fort Simpson is located on an island at the junction of the Liard and Mackenzie Rivers, with a total population of 1264 people. Fort Simpson is accessible by both the Mackenzie and Liard highways and is a regional government and service centre for the five smaller surrounding communities of Jean Marie, Fort Liard, Nahanni Butte, Trout Lake and Wrigley.
Currently, the Village of Fort Simpson is hiring a Finance Manager in Fort Simpson, NT. Please note that this is a Unionized position.
As a key member of the management team, you will be responsible for planning, implementing, and controlling all financial activities of the municipality including accounting, finance, forecasting, job costing and dealing with banking/financial institutions. You will also assist the Senior Administrative Officer (SAO) on other related activities such as strategic planning, legal, property management, deal analysis and negotiations.
Specifically, you will:
- Develop and evaluate short and long-term strategic financial objectives of the municipality.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends, and forecasts.
- Ensure effective financial controls in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Standard (GAAS) and Generally Accepted Auditing Principles (GAAP) and regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Prepare for, and coordinate the annual audit.
- Coordinate and prepare the annual budget and establish the property tax mill rate.
- Ensure good cash management, including the application of grant and debenture funding.
- Monitor and ensure control of assets, including timely collection of taxes and receivables, balancing of all control accounts, physical asset inventories and risk management.
- Supervise direct reports and ensure that all accounting data is entered in a timely manner.
- Mentor and coach direct reports to assist with improving their job related skills and competencies.
- Prepare, complete and distribute financial and management reports on a quarterly and annual basis to Mayor & Council.
In addition to a minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of accounting and finance, you are at least a 4th level leading towards the designation of a CMA, CGA or CA, or have a relevant degree in Business Administration or Accountancy. Current knowledge of financial and accounting computer applications is essential, as are outstanding communication, analytical and organizational skills.
Embracing the Fort Simpson spirit, you will foster a positive, collaborative environment in order to promote productivity and innovation in a cross-cultural setting.
Lastly, you will be successful in the role if you are natural leader with sound decision making skills.
In this unionized position, you will receive a highly lucrative salary of $85,722 to $94,614 depending on experience.
To reward you for your hard work and dedication you will also receive the following:
- $10,000 in allowances (including vacation travel allowance and northern living allowance)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability
- Pension Plan
- Negotiable relocation assistance offered to outstanding candidates
- Vacation (2 weeks as per the Union Agreement)
- Use of company cell phone, vehicle, and laptop
In addition to this wide range of benefits, you will receive professional development training by taking advantage of our development program tailored to your professional growth and put in place to assist you in feeling a true sense of accomplishment!
Our team is a supportive, close-knit group of 20 individuals keen on helping you reach your full potential. We understand the value of team building, trust, and employee unity.
If you share our values, and have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!