General Manager/Head Grower (45251) Fort St. John, Canada
About the Organization
Located, in North-eastern British Columbia the West Moberly First Nations (168A) is one of seven Nations that make-up Treaty 8 BC and are members of Treaty 8 Tribal Association.
West Moberly First Nations is an innovative community about 30 km north-west of Chetwynd and is situated along the west end of Moberly Lake. West Moberly First Nations is primarily Dunne-za however there are Saulteau and Cree and all three languages are spoken. The reserve is 2033.6 hectares and has 88 members living on reserve and 139 members living off reserve.
The Moberly Lake Golf Course is nestled on the northern hills above beautiful Moberly Lake, 30 kms north of Chetwynd BC. This nine-hole course offers a challenge for the experienced and novice golfer as the fairways wind among the natural setting lending itself to a relaxed forest atmosphere.
About the Opportunity
West Moberly First Nations is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic General Manager/Head Grower for the Twin Sisters Native Plant Nursery in Moberly Lake, BC.
In this outstanding leadership role, you will oversee all aspects of the Twin Sisters Native Plant Nursery (TSNPN) operations in a cost-effective and safety conscious manner. You will also ensure that all resources required to operate the nursery are in place and that high standards are achieved.
Specifically, you will:
- Ensure work is conducted in a safe manner and is in compliance with health and safety regulations;
- Negotiate agreements with customers to maximize the utilization of greenhouse facilities and revenue for the business;
- Work with the Board of Directors, customers and with the Saulteau and West Moberly First Nations to ensure that native plants grown reflect the importance and values of native plants from each of the two communities to be utilized in ecological restoration;
- Ensure that seed procurement plans are established to collect, prepare, and store sufficient seed supplies to meet customer and communities needs;
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships, and conduct thorough research and training plan development and implementation;
- Prepare budgets, funding proposals and other initiatives as required;
- Ensure proper care and maintenance of equipment.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for an experienced leader and supervisor who has a minimum of 5 years experience in the management or Head Grower of a nursery facility. A university degree in plant science, horticulture or business management (or related fields) is essential, as is a background operating a production horticulture facility. Strong research and native plant identification skills would be highly desirable, and familiarity with WorkSafeBC requirements and knowledge of safe application and storage of applicable pesticides is required.
You will be familiar with working within a budget and planning the successful operation of the maintenance department through efficient and effective procedures and working to meet budgetary parameters. You are proficient using MS Office and you possess a valid driver's license.
Most importantly you will have a positive and dedicated approach to your role and you are willing to learn new skills, deal tactfully with sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality of records and discussions. You have strong planning and organizational skills and you thrive on working in a team environment with minimal supervision.
Above all, you love working in an outdoor setting and conducting field assessments in all types of weather conditions.
About the Benefits
The successful candidate will enjoy an attractive salary and benefits package!
Plus, you will love working with great clientele in a team focused working environment.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to move to this beautiful area, boasting truly spectacular views!
If you are looking for an exciting, varied role, APPLY NOW!