NoSQL Engineer Summary:
Signature Consultants has several openings for NoSQL Engineers across the country. These NoSQL Engineers can sit in any of the following locations: Plano/Dallas, TX; Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; Jacksonville, FL; San Francisco, CA. The NoSQL Engineering team supports Consumer Banking and all the related LOB’s such as Digital Channels, ATM, Banking Center, Card Services, Deposits Tech, and more. The NoSQL Engineer provides NoSQL Database infrastructure solutions such as Cassandra, Spark, Solr, and other related products. We integrate these products with other Big Data platforms such as Hadoop (provided by another team). Our goal is to grow beyond the 700 nodes in place today to 2,000+ nodes over the next few years. We will do this through automation and self-service frameworks, which we must build from scratch.
- Develops, enhances, debugs, supports, maintains and tests software applications that support business units or supporting functions. These application program solutions may involve diverse development platforms, software, hardware, technologies and tools.
- Participates in the design, development and implementation of complex applications, often using new technologies.
- May provide technical direction and system architecture for individual initiatives.
- Serves as a fully seasoned/proficient technical resource. Will not have direct reports but may lead projects and direct activities of a team related to special initiatives or operations.
- May have responsibility for a project and project budget.
- May collaborate with external programmers to coordinate delivery of software application.
- Routine accountability is for technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Works under minimal supervision, with general guidance from more seasoned consultants.
- Role-based access to support functions (i.e. a Developer will not have all the same access as a NoSQL Engineer)
- Deploying new applications on either VM’s or Bare Metal
- Starting/Stopping services via customized Operating Consoles
- Making automated operating decisions based on monitoring inputs (ie self-healing capabilities)
- Elastic computing approach to support NoSQL capacity demands
- Deploying Dev-on-Demand product instances
- Automated patching and upgrades of products
- Billing/Chargeback reporting for customers and finance partners
- Capacity & Performance dashboard views for customers
- Big Data/NoSQL Database technologies such as Cassandra
- 5+ years Java/J2EE experience is a must
- 5+ years overall systems engineering & integration experience
- 4+ years of experience with Linux systems administration
- 4+ years of hands on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environments
- 1+ years infrastructure orchestration automation tool experience (ie Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc)
- 2+ years continuous integration development (ie Jenkins or similar)
- Passion for technical design and coding to support infrastructure automation
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills when working face to face or virtually
- Auto-tuning capabilities (ie optimizing JVM performance)
- 5+ years overall systems engineering experience.
- 4+ years of experience with Linux systems administration.
- 4+ years of hands on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environments.
- At least one position where you were the critical individual contributor, domain expert, or technical lead.
- Significant experience building web and backend applications from the ground up.
- Java – Required. Our major applications are built in Java.
- Spring – Nice to have.
- HTML – Required
- BS in Computer Science or Information Systems, or significant industry experience.
- Good understanding of the TCP/IP networking stack (IP addressing, routing, HTTP(S), etc).
- Familiarity with systems and configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc).
You should be excited about this opportunity because you will...
- Join during ground-floor opportunity to build something new and influence a long-term strategy for a fast-growing team.
- Build tools and systems to manage automation and increase instrumentation in all aspects of day-to-day operations.
- Help us solve problems around performance and fault-tolerance and High Availability so machines let us know before they are sick.
- Identify and solve performance problems in JVM applications such as Cassandra.
- Investigate new tools & technologies our team can use to solve problems for the business.
- Work with applications such as: Cassandra, Spark, Solr, MongoDB, Docker.
- Acquire experience at internet scale that you can’t get anywhere else.
We’re excited about you because you...
- Build full stack production systems in Java.
- Know Java better than the development team, know Linux better than the SA team, but you are easy to work with.
- Run UNIX systems of significant size, hands on.
- Automate everything in bash, python, ruby or preferred language.
- Identify and triage system bottlenecks.
- Have operated as the last escalation point. The buck stops with you.
Nice to have interest or experience with the following:
- Automation tools (puppet, chef, ansible, salt)
- Nosql (Cassandra, Hadoop, Mongodb)
- Virtualization: Docker, vmware, AWS, GCE
- Bantering with colleagues to solve problems with esoteric languages (Clojure, Scala, Lisp, etc.)
- Can work with developers to understand their technical AND business goals.
- Are willing to help developers understand the operational implications of their design decisions.
- View and create documentation as part of a working system.
- Won’t stop until the problem is solved.
- Can operate without a net, perhaps as the final escalation point anywhere.
- Keep a level head when diagnosing production problems.
- Aren’t afraid to become an expert in something brand new to you.
- Can evaluate risks involved in technical implementations.
- Design and implement new systems to improve reliability and resilience of the systems in production.
- Participate in operation team's on-call rotation to keep high-visibility applications running smoothly.
- Excellent written and oral communication - we are a distributed team working mostly remotely. Communication across all mediums - conference call, email, IM, etc - is absolutely critical
- Help us achieve reproducibility in all things, whether through documentation, tooling, or both
About Signature Consultants, LLC
Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Signature Consultants was established in 1997 with a singular focus: to provide clients and consultants with superior staffing solutions. For the eighth consecutive year, Signature was voted as one of the “Best Staffing Firms to Work For” and is now the 14th largest IT staffing firm in the United States (source: Staffing Industry Analysts). With 26 locations throughout North America, Signature annually deploys thousands of consultants to support, run, and manage their clients’ technology needs. Signature offers IT staffing, consulting, managed solutions, and direct placement services. For more information on the company, please visit www.sigconsult.com.
To apply for this job, please complete the following 6 fields and we will immediately follow-up (* = required).
Signature Consultants is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities according to state and federal disability discrimination laws. If, because of a disability, you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-838-1020. Signature Consultants will partner with you in good faith to identify and implement a reasonable accommodation, if any, that is appropriate and consistent with its legal obligations.
Signature Consultants is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
EEO is the law: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf