Legal Assistant / Paralegal (7259BR) New York, New York
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal is responsible for the preparation and filing of variable life insurance registration statements and other variable product related documents in accordance with SEC rules and procedures. The role is also responsible for preparing and filing product related documents with state insurance departments, and will maintain and continuously update Variable Life Group files in accordance with regulatory requirements.
Specific responsibilities of the Legal Assistant/Paralegal role include:
• Prepare variable life insurance registration statements, including prospectuses, to comply with SEC rules and procedures.
• Work directly with product managers and others in the Insurance Group to draft prospectus language, amendments to contracts, and board resolutions for review by the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) attorneys. Work to ensure consistency across multiple registration statements and prospectuses.
• Prepare transmittal letters to SEC staff and supervise financial printers to ensure that registration statements and other required documents are filed with proper content, on time, and in proper format.
• Work directly with outside auditors and the Corporate Financial Department to prepare separate account annual and semi-annual filings and ensure that filings are made with proper documentation, on time, and in proper format in accordance with SEC rules.
• Prepare and file separate account plans of operation with state insurance departments.
• Perform legal research using Westlaw, NILS, the FINRA and SEC websites, and other resources. Monitor industry and regulatory websites for relevant information. Prepare memoranda summarizing the results.
• Maintain OGC Variable Life Insurance Group files, including SEC filings, state regulatory filings, and contracts, in accordance with federal securities laws requirements and Company procedures.
• Coordinate with Westchester office OGC in achieving the above responsibilities.
• Independently review variable product registration statements to comply with applicable SEC standards and to identify disclosures that require higher level review.
• Independently review and files periodic SEC and state filings.
• Work independently and to manage multiple long-term projects simultaneously.
• Accountable for the performance of OGC in meeting deadlines for assignments, as dictated by federal securities laws and/or state statutes.
• Initiate action independently and is accountable for all decisions with minimal supervisory consultation.
• Communicate directly with federal and state regulators to coordinate the submission of information.
• Communicate with outside auditor and outside printing firm to instruct and supervise them on SEC filings.
• Bachelors Degree
• Several years of experience with SEC rules and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability in developing procedures and organizing workflow.
• Good writing and editorial skills. Experience in drafting prospectus supplements and plans of operation helpful.
• Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
• Knowledge of the Investment Company Act of 1940 preferred.