Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders' hardware, faucets, and commercial locksets and doors, with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Stanley®, FANAL®, Pfister™, EZSET®, and Tell. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders' hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister), and #1 in U.S. retail commercial locksets. Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia. HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc.
Lead engineering activities for New Product Introductions and Sustaining Engineering.
New Product Introduction: Designs and develops new products that meet product proposals and design critical-to-quality (CTQ) requirements per the New Product Introduction System. Creates prototype models to evaluate new concepts and reduce risk. Understands Design for Six Sigma Methodologies including statistical process control (SPC) principles. Integrates needs of end users, customer service and manufacturing to provide optimum designs that exceed competitive offerings. Can serve as Program/Project Leader for technical development projects.
Sustaining Engineering: Supports customer service on technical issues. Participates in the analysis and disposition of deviant parts and/or assemblies. Supports the communication of engineering documents and procedures to the plants and suppliers. Investigates field problems onsite and/or test lab evaluation and analysis to find root cause using tools such as Design of Experiment (DOE).
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- (20%) Effectively uses Creo Parametric (Pro/Engineer) 3D modeling software and Windchill PDM System in developing new product concepts and communicating final configuration to manufacturing and marketing.
- (20%) Applies Design for Six Sigma Methodologies early on and throughout the design process. Effectively employs analytical software (such as Spring Design, CETOL and Pro/Mechanica) and prototyping to demonstrate product feasibility and reduce risk.
- (15%) Develops and maintains accurate and complete engineering documentation, i.e. design layouts, bill of material (BOM), Engineering Change Order, detailed component and assembly drawings.
- (10%) Conducts six sigma tolerance analysis of multi-part assemblies. Basic understanding of GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerances).
- (10%) Integrates needs of end users, Product Marketing, Quality, and Manufacturing to provide optimum designs that exceed competitive offerings . Develops cost estimates of new concepts.
- (10%) Approves the disposition of First Article Inspection Reports on new and current production products. Participates in the analysis and disposition of deviant parts and/or assemblies. Works with suppliers in developing new or enhancing existing components and assemblies, including gages and fixtures.
- (5%) Performs technical feasibility analyses and present results credibly. Writes test procedures, test plans, and work with lab technicians to complete required testing.
- (5%) Provides designs that incorporate 5-star customer experience, end user needs and manufacturing requirements. Supports customer service on technical issues. Investigates field problems - onsite and/or test lab evaluation including analysis to find root cause.
- (5%) Creates project timelines for the entire scope of a project and using project planning software in planning/tracking development projects.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 1-4 years of experience in developing and launching products from concept phases
- Some experience in designing parts that use die casting, stamping, cold heading, and injection molding processes.
- Understanding of manufacturing high volume consumer products is desired.
- Proven track records of providing complicated mechanism design solutions.
- Thorough knowledge of all applicable Industry and Company standards.
- Sound knowledge of design practices and principles including engineering mathematics and computation.
- Working knowledge of CAD/CAE tools, technical report writing, tolerance analysis of component part fits, GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing), and scientific test methods.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodologies including DFMEA principles.
- Familiar with various heat treatments and finishing processes.
- Project management skills.
You will be working with team members who are all committed to create unique and best-in-class customer experience. First, you will work closely with a project engineer to acquire the product knowledge and skill sets to help you succeed. You will also assist to solve any technical issue and to support engineering activities (stress analysis, prototype testing, design review, etc.) related to product launches. Once you have all the tools you need, you will be responsible for your own designing and sustaining projects for well-known brands that are a part of HHI.
At HHI, we thrive on collaborative team efforts, and we value innovative ideas no matter how big or small they are. Although not every idea will be pursued, your opinion will be respected and often your point of view will help shape the business. Every team member is interested in succeeding for the team and for the business, and you will be motivated to make difference in millions of customers’ lives and your career.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.