Sr Software Engineer - Big Data (LNR0010M) Boca Raton, Florida
Senior Software Engineer – Big Data
Boca Raton, FL or Dayton, Ohio
If you enjoy coding and trouble shooting, this may be an opportunity for you. There are a diversity of projects that support every product we offer our customers. Additionally, you will be trained to use our open source language (ECL*) to support existing software products at LexisNexis Risk Solutions. You will also perform analysis, design and development tasks, and provide input to project plans, schedules throughout the software development lifecycle.
Technical Skill Required:
- Strong expertise in at least one high-level programming language (e.g. Java, C++, C#)
- Understanding OOP concept
- Understanding the basic concepts of DBMS (transactions, type of joins, etc., at least some Knowledge of SQL (can be ODBC/JDBC))
- Knowledge of abstract data structures and algorithms
- Experience with any Source Control system (SVN, ClearCase, CVS, Perforce)
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of XML schemas, XSLT,
- Experience with any well-known RDBMS (MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.),
- Basic knowledge/Understanding of network protocols and web services: TCP/IP, HTTP, SOAP, WSDL, etc.
- Knowledge of Hadoop
- Hands on experience debugging complex problems.
- Public Records knowledge/experience.
Very nice to have:
Hands-on experience or basic knowledge of ECL*, participation in Open Source development.
*ECL (Enterprise Control Language) - our powerful programming language that is ideally suited for the manipulation of Big Data. Go to http://hpccsystems.com/FAQ/what-is-ecl and check out the open source version:
Transparent and implicitly parallel programming language
Non-procedural and dataflow oriented
Modular, reusable, extensible syntax
Combines data representation and algorithm implementation
Easily extend using C++ libraries
ECL is compiled into optimized C++
What you will do:
Interfaces with internal customers to gather requirements and provide recommendations on complex technical tasks.
Independently performs analysis to develop and implement high level designs for assigned projects.
Develops moderate-to advanced modules and system components and develops simple to moderately complex re-usable code.
Remain current on industry standards and advances within area of expertise.
Diagnoses complex system problems using debugging tools or other diagnostic aids.
Participates in design, code and test reviews.
Finds and recommends opportunities for continuous improvement.
Makes decisions within their ability and authority.
Other duties as assigned
- Position requires a bachelor's (Master’s a plus) degree in computer science, computer engineering, math or equivalent technical discipline or equivalent technical experience.
- 5 + years experience in full lifecycle development process including design, development, testing and implementation of moderate to advanced complexity systems.
- Expertise in the technologies used in the job.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to provide both detail information and also summarize to a management level.