Structural Entry Designer (11478BR) Chicago, Illinois
The Structural Entry Designer routinely performs complex CADD assignments and moderate design assignments, requiring the application of fundamental design techniques complying with firm and industry standards and codes. Under direction supports assignments involving introduction to basic design concepts. This position builds on the development of fundamental design concepts, but is versatile in performing senior-level drafting assignments, predominantly in 2D as well as fundamental 3D modeling tasks.
• Prepares detail and/or general arrangement drawings and sketches of unusual, complex, or original designs requiring the application of minimal practical engineering knowledge.
• Prepares complete sets of 2D construction drawings, including multiple views (sections, plans, pictorial representations etc.), detail drawings, and assembly drawings of equipment, facilities, or systems where minimal information is provided by rough sketches and/or verbal outlines of requirements.
• Exercises flexibility, adapting to changing requirements and assuming the role of CADD coordinator on multi-discipline projects during the lifecycle to ensure coordination between the design team and outside subcontractors.
• Performs all mid-level drafter tasks and in addition:
- Creates and manipulates parametric constraints
- Uses the CUI to perform basic customizations to the user interface
- Trains internal staff on both 2D and 3D CADD techniques
- Assists in delivering presentations to peers and to clients
- Communicates effectively using electronic meeting tools - Fosters teamwork by work sharing between and geographically dispersed office locations
- Actively promotes adherence to CDM Smith CADD Graphic and 3D Modeling standards - Promotes open communication between team members by facilitating regular meetings - Visualizes in 3D space from 2D orthographic drawings and conceptually
- Works with different 3D representations such as 3D wireframe, conceptual etc. - Installs and utilizes “object enablers” to display objects from other CADD applications - Exports 3D geometry for use by subcontractors and outside agencies.
- Produces mid-level still renderings and moderate level animations from 3D/4D models - Applies basic materials and lighting properties to models
- Applies the 6 phase CDM Smith design process in the production of intelligent 3D/4D models.
- Produces reports from 3D/4D software applications
- Uses 3D/4D software applications to produce output for analysis
• Associates degree in drafting/design technology and/or graphic/multimedia 3D model design and 8 years direct relevant experience.
• Advanced knowledge of core 2D CADD applications (such as AutoCAD and/or MicroStation)
• 2 years of continuous 3D technologies experience in a production environment.
• Intermediate or advanced Microsoft Office for design related tasks and discipline specific design/analysis software primarily within the CADD environment.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate—as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an equal opportunity employer.