Senior Software Engineer (LAMP, Linux, Apache, Python) (13592) Newark, California
A key role in a team developing the next generation RMS mapping platform and providing highly sophisticated, seamless integration of RMS GIS platform with Business Intelligence applications on RMS Cloud! Design and implement robust high volume map generation software using latest open-source GIS as well as Microsoft development technologies. Apply specialized knowledge of spatial data formats and storage to develop advanced mapping capabilities.
- BS or MS in computer science or related field with expertise in LAMP(Linux, Apache and Python. MySql is not required) stack.
- Six or more years of software development experience with modern web technologies, protocols and services.
- Minimum 2 years of working experience developing multi-tiered applications using Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- Familiar with different caching solutions and ability to create modern caching solution with the best of them.
- Ability to tackle challenging problems related to infrastructure, optimization, scalability and performance.
Nice to have:
- Experience generating on-demand or pre-cached slippy maps using Mapnik or any other open-source mapping library.
- Experience with C# or Microsoft .Net Framework is a huge plus.
- Experience of database development using PostgreSQL and Postgis is also a big plus.
Did you know there"s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year? And there"s a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, and flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy. We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you"ve "never" heard of, unless you"re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform "RMS(one)" for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com. Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.