Catastrophe Modeler (Civil Engineering, Earthquake) (13012) Newark, California
The Model Development group is looking for a Catastrophe Modeler to help it build industry leading stochastic catastrophe models for the quantification and management of catastrophe risk.
- Development of earthquake vulnerability functions for catastrophe computer based risk models for US and other countries.
- Assessment of the building damageability and development of physics based vulnerability functions for property and business interruption coverage.
- Acquisition, review and interpretation of past event data will play a critical role in that process as well as a need to understand and develop state of the art practices in the field.
- Responsibilities include research into the past and current design and construction practices in different regions of the world.
- Provide technical support both internally to RMS’ staff and to clients.
- The position will require independent work and being able to perform required research.
- Preparing presentations and reports for internal and external publications.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or Mathematical Modeling or a related field.
- Two or more years of experience in the development of probabilistic risk models is desirable
- Advanced knowledge of probability and statistics.
- High level of proficiency in data analysis, statistical inference and data manipulation.
- Good programming skills and experience in software tools.
- Knowledge of engineering design codes and structural engineering experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of GIS software applications preferred.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a team environment is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Founded in 1989 as a spinoff of research done at Stanford University, today RMS is the world leader in catastrophe risk modeling. From earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods to terrorism, longevity, and infectious diseases, our models provide critical risk management solutions to financial institutions around the world. Based in our Silicon Valley headquarters and with offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia, our team of more than 950 professionals may be larger than it used to be, but we’re still as ambitious and innovative as ever. Whether quantifying risks due to climate change, simulating how medical breakthroughs could extend life expectancy, delivering supercomputing in the cloud, or transforming an industry with our next generation technology platform, our passion is innovation driven by the courage to tackle problems others reject as unsolvable.
At RMS, we believe the result of deeper knowledge is positive change. Our ultimate goal is to create a more sustainable and resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. To find out more, visit www.rms.com. RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.