Director / Senior Director, Model Certification (13570) Newark, California
The Model Product Management (MPM) Analytics team at RMS is responsible for the commercial success of current and future models. To that end, the group works with both external clients and internal developers to provide the linkage necessary between features the market requires and specifications needed for development. The MPM team also works with our marketing and account management teams to enable accurate inbound market feedback and to provide appropriate collateral for outbound market communication.
Within MPM lies the Model Certification group which is responsible for certifying models and features related to all perils and regions. This includes the RMS financial model, uncertainty modeling, overall model framework, and others. This includes analysis of large notional and client data sets to measure loss changes and sensitivity to different parameters, with an end goal to support model certification.
Lead a technical team to successfully certify models and analytical features for different perils and regions for new models as well as updates made to existing models. Provide leadership in developing processes, tools, and automation to certify models efficiently.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead innovations on automation
- Mentor and manage a team of certification engineers
- Research and devise innovative approaches and test categories to increase efficiency in testing
- Provide strong technical leadership to the testing strategy, and automation approaches for all aspects of certification of a new or updated model
- Collaborate to develop / implement prototypes and automation beneficial for multiple groups
- Demonstrate clear understanding of the model development, implementation and certification process
- A Master’s degree or higher in a quantitative discipline (e.g., engineering, physical science, finance, mathematics or statistics) from a highly-regarded school.
- Strong automation and good programming skills (proficient in at least one language).
- Deep familiarity with Cat Models, preferably having been involved in the development process.
- Familiarity with large number of Cat Models, a plus.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- A problem solver who can leverage his/her experience to develop automated solutions.
- Inquisitive and intellectually curious.
- A self-starter with an ability to drive forward despite ambiguity.
Did you know there’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year? And there’s a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you’ve ‘never’ heard of, unless you’re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform ‘RMS(one)’ for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com. Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.