Principal Software Engineer (C# / Java, modeling, probability) (14047) Newark, California
We are developing a new generation of our natural catastrophe risk models that greatly exceed the capabilities currently in the market. We’re interested in your ideas on how we can use the latest technologies to take our CAT models and loss analytics to the next level. In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for CAT model implementation, focusing on development of the analytical engines at the core of our high-performance, proprietary modeling platform and processing framework. You will have the opportunity to play a key role in innovating from the ground up. We want you to bring your ideas and software engineering skills to our dynamic, growing team.
Our models are computationally intensive and we need your skills to design efficient and optimized software that will provide real time insight into our client’s risk. You will work closely with our catastrophe scientists, financial modelers and platform engineers to push the boundaries of what is possible. Beyond just proposing new ideas, you should expect to employ your software engineering experience and skills to get things done and see your ideas materialize in our next generation product for the cloud.
We are looking for a great programmer who is motivated, smart and enthusiastic about building analytical and computational software. Excellent communication will be one of your strong traits. If you thrive on taking responsibility for delivering new solutions for a growing, dynamic product, we want to hear from you.
Required experience and skills:
- Exceptional programming skills and experience with high level programming languages such as C++/C#/Java on a large code base
- 3-5 years of real-world software development experience; proven track record of on-time delivery of your work
- B.S. / M.S. in a quantitative subject from a top-tier university; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong mathematical skills in algorithmic computations, statistics and probability
- Experience working with multiple data sources (web services, raw binary files, SQL RDBMS systems, NoSQL system, etc.)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, iterative product definition and development environment within and across teams
- Superior communication skills and proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Strong software engineering discipline: you document, measure, test and tune what you build
Desirable experience and skills:
- Solid experience with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Visual Studio
- Solid experience with unit test frameworks and practical use of performance and memory monitoring / measurement tools
- Experience building robust and scalable distributed software and the issues involved (e.g. performance, scalability, availability, concurrency, etc)
- Appreciation of the full development lifecycle and testing methodologies
- Enthusiasm for solving analytical problems using technology
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months. At RMS, we build simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand their financial risks as a result of natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, or changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you’ve ‘never’ heard of, unless you’re one of our clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. As we lead an industry we helped pioneer we are able to offer stimulating careers to those who want to make a real impact on the world at large. At RMS we believe in thought leadership, personal growth and out-standing performance and support a culture of inclusiveness across all our offices.
As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform ‘RMS(one)’ for the global risk market and we’re looking for talented professionals to join us.
To find out more visit: www.rms.com. ; Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.