Principal Software Engineer (C++ / Java or C# / .Net, HPC) (13454) Newark, California
We are developing our own in-house distributed computational framework for simulating catastrophe models and computing portfolio loss analytics. As a member of our Loss Analytics group in our Analytical Development team, you will be responsible for maintaining and optimizing our current code as well as designing and developing new features. Your focus will be to work on our in-house framework and support our senior engineers in their efforts as we expand our proprietary distributed computational stack. We are mainly using a .NET/C# stack but also use C/C++ to optimize critical sections of the code. You will have the opportunity to play a key role in innovating from the ground up as we create our next generation product solution for the cloud. We want you to bring your ideas and software engineering skills to our dynamic, growing team.
We are looking for a great programmer who is motivated, smart and enthusiastic about building analytical and computational software. An ideal candidate for this position is passionate about high performance computing and enjoys learning new technologies. You must love “going under the hood” to understand how each line of code impacts execution time and have an obsession with code optimization. You should be enthusiastic about building new software solutions for a highly distributed, scalable platform. Excellent communication will be one of your strong traits. If you thrive on taking responsibility for delivering new solutions for a growing, dynamic product, we want to hear from you.
Required experience and skills:
- Exceptional programming skills in C++/Java or C# on a large code base
- Solid experience with network programming / binary serialization / processing large data sets
- Solid understanding of dynamic code generation and runtime compilation
- Solid understanding of software patterns (e.g. State, Strategy, Template, etc), generics, data structures, and software algorithms
- 2 – 10 years of programming experience; proven track record of on-time delivery of your work
- Superior communication skills and proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Strong software engineering discipline: you document, measure, test and tune what you build
- B.S. / M.S. in Computer Science or related discipline; Master’s degree preferred
Desirable experience and skills:
- Solid experience with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Visual Studio
- Solid experience with unit test frameworks and practical use of performance and memory monitoring / measurement tools
- Experience building robust and scalable distributed software and the issues involved (e.g. performance, scalability, availability, concurrency, etc)
Did you know there"s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year? And there"s a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, and flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy. We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you"ve "never" heard of, unless you"re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform "RMS(one)" for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com. Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- See more at: http://www.rms.com/careers/job?req=13454#sthash.z32RUG91.dpuf