Quantitative Modeler (client consulting) (12549) Newark, California
The LifeRisks team at RMS has developed a medical-based modeling platform to analyze risks in the life and health insurance industry. The platform contains a suite of models quantifying the risk of excess mortality from a range of perils (infectious disease, terrorism, natural catastrophes and other causes), longevity risk due to increasing life expectancy, and quantifying the mortality-longevity hedge present for Life Insurers. Recent projects have included quantifying excess mortality risk for the purpose of securitization , measuring a company’s longevity risk resulting from the likely future increases in the longevity of their pension holders, determining the capital benefit a natural mortality-longevity hedge, and helping clients respond to Solvency II reporting requirements.
Objectives of the LifeRisks Quantitative Modeler:
The Quantitative Modeler will focus on model development activities, specifically leading and executing model development and client consulting projects.
Key Accountabilities & Deliverables:
- Participate in and/or lead complex client consulting projects to assess excess mortality and longevity risk and develop solutions for client needs ranging from risk swaps and securitization to reinsurance and changes in underwriting practices.
- Solve difficult, non-routine problems using advanced mathematical and statistical methods to analyze complex data sets.
- Clearly communicate highly technical results and methods to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Quantitative degree in math, science, or computer science or equivalent quantitative experience- MS, ABD or PhD preferred.
- Strong communication, presentation, and client facing skills are required for this role.
- Scientific programming experience in R, matlab, or equivalent.
- Ability to apply analytical and programming skills to solve unstructured problems requiring model development and data analysis.
- An entrepreneurial approach to new challenges and opportunities.
- Software development, finance, insurance, or biological science experience are strong pluses.
- Industry Knowledge/Bus. Acumen
- Client Focused
- Solutions Driven
- Creativity & Innovation
- Results & Action Oriented
- Decision Making
- Self-Knowledge & Development
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Planning and organizing
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Planning/structuring analyses
- Data analysis
- Data presentation/visualization
Risk Management Solutions (RMS) is the world's leading provider of analytics and decision science solutions for the quantification and management of catastrophic risks throughout the world. The models and consulting services of RMS are used by hundreds of insurance and reinsurance companies, hedge funds, corporations, and governments to assess a wide-range of natural and man-made perils such as - earthquake, flood, hurricane, windstorm, wild fire, disease pandemic. RMS continues to grow and diversify in order to service and meet the requirement of its clients through research and technology innovation and superior client service. The company's strength lies in its ability to use and develop the skills of its people across a wide remit of business activities.
At RMS, we believe the result of deeper knowledge is positive change. Our ultimate goal is to create a more sustainable and resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Candidate must be local to the San Francisco Bay Area and to find out more, visit www.rms.com/careers.