Senior Modeler (Seismology) / Seismologist (12222) Newark, California
We are currently seeking a Sr. Catastrophe Modeler to join our Earthquake Risk team in the Model Development group. The main focus of this role is on the development of earthquake hazard/risk models for catastrophe computer based risk models with emphasis on the ability to understand, develop and implement state of the art practises in the field. Responsibilities include keeping pace with and contributing to research into the physical nature of earthquake phenomena and review and interpretation of various seismological ingredients of earthquake hazard models. Technical support both internally and for clients will be required.
Skills and Experience Required:
To be successful in the role, you must have the following required skills:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in seismology, earth sciences or a related field
- Post graduate work exprience in a related field.
- Knowledge of observational seismology and earthquake hazard
- Good programming skills in any high-level language (Fortran, C, C++, MATLAB or other statistical packages)
- High level of proficiency in data analysis and data manipulation software tools (Excel, Access, VBA and SQL) required.
- Working knowledge of ARCGIS Software a plus, but not necessary.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment: We are looking for a team player with a high-degree of self-motivation
- Project management experience, ability to work on multiple projects
- Detail oriented, ability to learn quickly, strong analytical organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, as evidenced by technical presentations at meetings and conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals
Founded in 1989 as a spinoff of research done at Stanford University, today RMS is the world leader in catastrophe risk modeling. From earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods to terrorism, longevity, and infectious diseases, our models provide critical risk management solutions to financial institutions around the world. Based in our Silicon Valley headquarters and with offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia, our team of more than 950 professionals may be larger than it used to be, but we’re still as ambitious and innovative as ever. Whether quantifying risks due to climate change, simulating how medical breakthroughs could extend life expectancy, delivering supercomputing in the cloud, or transforming an industry with our next generation technology platform, our passion is innovation driven by the courage to tackle problems others reject as unsolvable.
At RMS, we believe the result of deeper knowledge is positive change. Our ultimate goal is to create a more sustainable and resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. To find out more, visit www.rms.com. RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.