User Experience Designer for (Web/PC/Mobile) - 97770 (BBBH552) San Francisco, California
SUMMARY/BASIC OVERVIEW OF JOB:
We are leading the development of next-generation broadcast audio experiences for the home. We are looking for a passionate User Interface Designer to join the Broadcast Group as a short-term contractor and help us develop professional audio production tools for the broadcast industry that enable these experiences.
He or she will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing and delivering high-quality application and demo experiences and will be expected to contribute significantly towards the creative vision of the group. This individual possesses impressive creative talent; is a strong advocate for both professional and consumer users; and has proven capable of solving difficult user interface problems without burdening users with complexity. Dolby is looking for a true all-rounder that can understand user needs, interpret those needs with water-tight interaction models and turn them into beautiful product designs ready for implementation.
- Own the design of a number of professional audio production tools in the Broadcast Grouphardware and software.
- Work with technical leads, the Director of UX and project/product managers to determine product features.
- Develop personae and user scenarios to facilitate the design and development of tools.
- Design and develop user interaction workflows, information architecture and document design requirements to engineering via specifications and interactive prototypes.
- Realize product concepts into visually compelling application designs.
- Recruit users for testing; manage and run tests; incorporate findings into product designs.
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Human Factors, Graphic Design, Information Science, Information Design, Cognitive Psychology, Product Application Design or related field.
- At least 6 years experience designing interactive user interfaces for web, PC and mobile apps and 10ft (TV) experiences, preferably with 1-2 years of project lead experience.
- Experience designing professional audio and/or video production tools is preferred.
- An understanding of common digital audio mixing concepts and terminology preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- A keen aesthetic, fanatical attention to detail and the ability to distill simple solutions from complex problems are essential skills for this role.
- Deep understanding of user-centered product development methodology.
- Strong portfolio of interaction design models, user interface designs, sketches, mockups and functional specifications that showcase the process of UI design phases, from concept to release.
- Detailed knowledge of fundamental design principles and disciplines that affect typography, color use, animation, composition, use of space, weight etc.
- An understanding of the restrictions associated with limited hardware-based user interfaces
- Self-motivated, solution-oriented, willing to work in a fast paced environment.
- A natural team player with a preference for group discussion, brainstorming and passionate argument.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently.
- Expert-level knowledge of key graphic and interaction design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, Balsamiq.
- Advanced-level knowledge of prototyping tools is a plus (Axure, Flash, HTML 5 etc.)
- Experience and knowledge of broadcast audio production techniques and tools is a plus.
- Experience with digital media creation and manipulation (such as audio or video editing) is a plus.
- Strong communication skills and a penchant for staying organized.
**Please note this is a W-2 Contract Position**