Senior Project Engineer (OLE) - Ref WW (IRC1926510) Swindon, England
|Salary:||Bonus, Pension, 28 Days Holiday|
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From Crossrail – Europe’s largest civil engineering project – to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
The Future Projects Group is responsible for developing a portfolio of future enhancements in the Greater West area. These range from station and depot improvements to major schemes such as grade separations and new sections of railway. The Future Projects Group comprises a multi-disciplinary team including specialists in development, engineering, requirements, planning, commercial and PMO.
The Senior Project Engineer manages the use of appropriate engineering standards in relation to design and construction, on all projects within the national programme and check whether they comply with legislation, Railway Group and Network Rail company standards. To monitor whether suitably qualified and experienced staff are employed to control engineering aspects of all projects within the functional discipline.
The Senior Project Engineer will:
- Implement Network Rail systems and procedures to deliver a cost effective, high quality and safe approach to design, construction, commissioning and other technical activities on relevant projects. Review all relevant legislation and liaise with relevant governmental departments.
- Monitor the competence of all Project Engineers working on projects within the functional discipline and provide functional guidance, direction and briefing.
- Apply engineering controls and procedures to all projects and check whether all design and construction contracts include reference to appropriate Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards applicable to their discipline.
- Apply relevant techniques and procedures of quantified and qualitative risk assessment and HAZOP analysis to all projects and check whether the environmental aspects of all projects are managed in accordance with Network Rail Environmental Policy.
- Monitor all projects for compliance with Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards and Network Rail project control procedures.
- .Advise project and programme management in respect of all construction activities, testing and commissioning, and site supervision. Monitor whether the design and construction elements meet the requirements of legislation, including construction design management (CDM) regulations.
- Assure whether contractors’ design, construction and specialist personnel are competent.
- Undertake reviews of design and construction activities. Arrange audits of contractors to monitor whether safety and quality of design, construction testing and commissioning and management systems are adequate.
- Undertake the duties of nominated design and construction / design construction engineer.
- Undertake accident investigations when remitted to by the relevant designated competent person.
Essential skills are:
- Significant experience in OLE/E&P engineering, ideally with involvement in construction and design projects across multi discipline areas
- Technical qualifications to at least HND level or equivalent
- Membership of a relevant professional institution
- Experience of major projects
- Knowledge of structuring safety cases in support of projects
- Knowledge of safety management and quality assurance
- Understanding of the arrangements required for the independent assessment of works
Desirable skills are:
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt
- Chartered status or equivalent in the particular discipline