Bioinformatics Services Engineer (9656) Santa Clara, California
Affymetrix seeks a talented and motivated individual to provide bioinformatics support for Genotyping Services and microarray design. The main focus of the position will be support of the operation of Bioinformatics Services.
Strong emphasis will be placed on the analysis, interpretation, and trouble-shooting of project-level microarray data in order to boost services stability, predictability and sample quality. Duties will also include creating chip and mask designs for commercial and custom probe arrays, which is one of the most critical steps of a probe array production.
Duties and responsibilities
The major responsibilities for this position include:
- perform routine analysis to generate deliverables for various genotyping services projects
- consult with customers regarding their custom designs, and help them define the best design strategy
- perform custom probe array designs for both internal & external customers
- create files for mask manufacturing
- create files to be used by the GeneChip analysis suite
Additional responsibilities may also include:
- improve current services and/or probe array design processes
- suggest improvements to current tools
- perform validations on probe array designs under FDA GMP ASR issues as needed
This position will involve working closely with other Affymetrix departments including research, product development, lab services, sales and marketing. It will also involve interacting with a diverse group of scientists ranging from molecular biologists to engineers.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualities:
- excellent cross-discipline communication and writing skills
- problem solving skills
- attention to details
- great organizational skills
- calmness under stress
- creative thinking
- flexibility and adaptability as new challenges come up
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of challenging problems
- ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- project management and/or management skills strongly preferred
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum B.S. in statistics, Statistical Genetics, Mathematics, biology, molecular biology, computer science, or engineering, or equivalent experience. M.S. or PhD preferred.
- 1-3 years experience in related fields. Experience in statistical genetics considered a strong plus.
- Experience in analysis of microarray data, especially with SNP genotyping arrays
Skills and Capabilities:
The candidate must have great command of:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
Additional skills are also desirable:
- One of R, S, Splus or Matlab
- SQL, Oracle
- Perl or Python, C, Java
- Familiarities with Windows, Linux and Unix, and computing infrastructure in general