BD Specialist - Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources (1413) Washington, District of Columbia
Latham & Watkins, a global law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the world, is currently seeking a Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources to join our winning team, located in Washington, D.C. The success of our firm is largely determined by our commitment to hire and develop the very best and brightest, creating a team that provides our clients with the highest quality of work and service. We are driven by our core values: respect, innovation and collaboration.
The Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources will receive a generous total compensation package. Bonuses are awarded in recognition of individual and firm performance. Eligible employees can participate in Latham’s comprehensive benefit program including healthcare, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401k plan, and more! In addition, employees receive 10 paid holidays per year, and a PTO program that accrues 23 days during the first year of employment and grows with tenure.
As a Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources at Latham, you will contribute your expertise in working with the Practice Group Chairs, Industry Chairs, Practice Development Manager and Business Development Lead to develop and execute the ELR Practice Group and Energy & Natural Resources Industry Group’s respective strategies. The specialist must provide qualitative and quantitative analysis in support of the ELR Practice Group and Energy & Natural Resources Industry Group to understand current market landscape, market trends, Latham’s position in the market, and potential opportunities as the key drivers of the strategic plans. Your responsibilities as a Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources will include these and other critical functions:
- Collaborating with the Practice Group Chairs, Practice Development Manager, Industry Group Chairs and Industry Group Lead to understand market position, developing strategic plan and driving marketing efforts to maintain and grow practice and industry position.
- Supporting the Practice Development Manager and Industry Group Lead in routine analysis and reporting of practice and industry competition, market trends, internal financial information, business opportunities and pitch activity in efforts to develop and implement internal and external strategies both globally and by region.
- Identifying opportunities for thought leadership and other marketing and campaign ideas to increase both internal and external brand awareness for the practice group and industry sector.
- Partnering with the global PR team to ensure coverage of successful matters, initiatives and products in key markets and significant matters are publicized internally and externally in accordance with the firm's public relations policy.
- Staying abreast of developments and trends in the practice and industry and remaining informed of all major new clients and significant matters.
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the Energy & Natural Resources industry group and ELR practice group and acting as a firm resource regarding: lawyer expertise, product expertise, firm experience, industry/trade group organizations, legal, Industry and business trends, industry-specific marketing collateral, and industry-specific media.
- Responsible for working with the Practice Development Manager and Industry Group Lead to forecast and track activities against the industry and practice group budgets as well as ROI analysis against applicable spend.
- Collaborating with Financial Information Center on client coding and financial data reporting.
- Collaborating with the Global Proposal team, Practice Development Managers, Industry Group Leads and Regional BD teams to draft and maintain practice and industry specific content and rankings for proposal management system.
- Serving as a point of contact for must win pitches, RFPs and panel reviews within the relevant practice and industry.
- Developing the practice and industry specific global directory and award submissions and assisting with relevant regional submissions.
- Providing status on matters/cases to appropriate Practice Development Manager in efforts to assist with experience collection.
- Supporting strategic client teams within the practice and industry.
- Participating in regular meetings or conference calls with industry team and practice group team including but not limited to annual business meetings and partner meetings.
- Maintaining Practice Group and Industry-specific e-mail marketing lists using the firm's customer relations management software system in conjunction with the firm's InterAction team.
- Liaising with Knowledge Management.
- Collaborating with firm resources to produce trend reports for the Practice Group and Industry Group Chairs and developing standard tools for reporting and analyzing data.
- Working to ensure quality professional product, as well as delivery of all work within established time frames.
- Making recommendations and working with management to develop procedures, processes, and workflow to ensure maximum efficiency in the Practice and Industry.
- Maintaining professional image within the Practice and Industry team and projecting the same image to those outside of the team.
- Supporting Industry, Practice and local team members in completing tasks as required.
- Completing special projects as assigned.
- Promoting effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers.
As a Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources, you will be expected to apply your organizational and communication skills while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude. The successful Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources candidate must have well developed and professional interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm; ability to work in a team environment with a customer service focus; ability to work independently to research, analyze, develop financial information to identify trends and opportunities; ability to maintain flexibility with respect to assigned tasks due to changing deadlines, changing deliverables and changing task priorities; excellent analytical skills; ability to learn and apply new skills quickly and effectively; strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including effective interpersonal communications (e.g., active listening); general knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles and terminology; general knowledge of professional services business; ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion; organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and handle multiple deadlines; exhibits an advanced ability to perceive and analyze problems and develop alternative strategies to solve them; knowledge and proficiency in PC applications, including Microsoft Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
A successful Business Development Specialist – Environmental and Energy & Natural Resources should have a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Marketing or related field required. A minimum of four (4) years related subject matter experience and related analytical experience. An ideal candidate should have experience responding to ad-hoc requests, developing analysis and producing reports desired. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by clicking the “Apply Now” link.
Latham & Watkins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and sustainability enables Latham & Watkins to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.