Chief Broadcast Engineer (882) Portland, Oregon
The Chief Broadcast Engineer is responsible for leading broadcast engineering projects, supporting broadcast technology infrastructure and managing a technical staff of broadcast engineers. This position requires leadership and hands-on direction to the stations' Engineers in integrating new broadcast-related equipment and ensuring superior performance of the station's broadcast technology and on-air "look."
This position works directly with the General Manager and station management on capital project planning and implementation, assists Corporate in the assessment of new broadcast opportunities, and aides in the strategic planning of broadcast technology. In addition, he or she performs work according to values of Fisher Communications with the utmost of integrity and trust in doing what is right.
Responsible for the overall broadcast architecture, implementation and 24x7x365 support of television infrastructure and technology.
Provides leadership and training to station engineering personnel designed to improve their skills. Accountable to provide feedback and recommendations to the station General Manager.
Supports transmitter facilities (including transmitters, towers, antennas, lease agreements and/or property, etc.)
Collaborates with station management on the development of engineering initiatives that result in more efficient operations. Develops specific strategies around each initiative and their return to the company. Upon approval, works with vendors and station personnel to implement such initiatives on-time, on-budget and within project specifications.
Provides guidance to station engineering personnel on the development and update of capital project needs and priorities. Negotiates favorable contractual terms with vendors.
Develops and maintains station emergency action plan that ensures smooth operations during times of internal and/or external crisis (for example, equipment or transmission failures; flood, fire, earthquake, etc.)
Establishes key relationships and maintains consistent communication with station management.
Provides hands-on technical support when needed; assists station engineering personnel in implementing projects and achieving superior on-air technical look and performance.
Accountable to ensure after-hours support and weekends have proper engineering coverage and prompt response to critical issues impacting the stations on-air technical look and/or performance.
Other duties as assigned and/or requested
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in broadcast engineering with 3 years in leadership and/or management positions
- In depth technical knowledge of broadcasting, television production, master control and operations
- IT knowledge and experience with audio/video/data transmission over LAN/WAN/IP
- Experience with non-linear editing, storage, and file-based workflows
- Industry knowledge of SNG/ENG, NRCS, master control and news production automation
- Specific experience in EDIUS, ENPS, Bitcentral, Central Casting and Ignite a plus
- BS in Engineering or IT related degree or closely related field preferred
- Excellent skills in evaluating and distilling key messages from large volumes of data
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills and problem solving ability
- Holds themselves to a high personal standard of accountability for results
- Excellent communication , negotiation, leadership and organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment and motivate a team of employees
- Ability to work independently , handle stress, deadlines and financial pressure
- Full knowledge of computer software program s such as MS Office products as well as the ability to learn new computer programs
Excellent vision (with or without corrective lenses) with the ability to read and distinguish
Excellent hearing with the ability to speak clearly.
Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
Ability to operate computers.
Ability to work under pressure and without direct supervision.
Fisher Values: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following values:
1. Integrity: Demonstrates the highest standards of behavior through honesty, fairness, and trust in everything that they do. Is direct, forthcoming and does what is right. Honors commitments and is accountable for their actions.
2. Dedication to Excellence: Expects to win by giving their best effort and striving for the highest quality in everything they do. Exhibits a sense of urgency, is action-oriented, seizes opportunities and steadfastly pushes themselves and others for results. Seeks continuous improvement and displays good judgment.
3. Innovation: Creation of better products, processes, services or technologies to embrace change and seek new ways to drive business and achieve better operational performance. Team members focus on the bigger picture to gain insight on novel ideas or new methods of doing business to create value. We are creative and innovative in seeking opportunities, navigating challenges and finding solutions.
4. Respect for the Individual: Treats everyone with dignity and respect. Strives to understand others and actively listens to their concerns and perceptions. Shares information and ideas openly and honestly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
10+ years of experience required
Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) preferred
To perform the job successfully, a person who manages people must demonstrate skill in the following:
1. Managing People: Develops direct reports by encouraging development and training and providing regular constructive and corrective feedback; treats direct reports equally; cares for direct reports and is available to them; is able to confront problem team members; is empathetic to others.
2. Managing Resources: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks; knows how to effectively handle and arrange resources (people, funds, materials, etc.) to get things done; prioritizes work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans.
3. Managing Processes: Understands or learns the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to organize tasks into an efficient work flow.
4. Managing Results: Is extraordinarily committed to results; doggedly pushes others and themselves for results; is bottom-line oriented; is tactical; conserves organizational resources; develops and implements cost saving measures.
Ability to read, comprehend and analyze complex instructions, business periodicals, professional journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to effectively present information to top management and/or our board of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to remain in a static position for extended periods of time and converse with and communicate with others. This position requires frequent moving about, and handling or positioning items. The team member must occasionally position himself/herself in small or unusual spaces. In addition the team member must be able to transport or move up to 50 pounds. The team member must be able to identify objects and be able to communicate in writing.
Team member must be prepared to work outdoors. Occasionally will be asked to work in high, precarious places and work with and near moving mechanical parts. Occasionally may be subjected to loud noise.
Fisher Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer