Draftsman / Technical Writer (Calgary, AB) (20220) Calgary Region, Canada
One of the largest oilfield services companies, Weatherford operates in more than 100countries and employs more than 50,000 people worldwide. With a product and service portfolio that spans the life cycle of a well— drilling, evaluation, completion, production and intervention— and a robust research and development effort, we are well positioned to meet the ever-evolving needs of the oil and gas industry. Turn to Weatherford for attentive service and Tactical Technology™ designed to maximize the value of your oil and gas assets. The change will do you goodSM
The R&D department of SLS, a division of Weatherford Canada Partnership, is currently looking for a Draftsman / Technical Writer / Documentation Specialist to join their team in NE Calgary.
General requirements for the position include:
- Thorough familiarity with 2D and 3D CAD software and mechanical drawing procedures and ability to create 2D & 3D CAD drawings from models and real world parts and assemblies.
- Some familiarity with Electronics and/or Electrical drafting, parts, and assemblies would be required, ability to do PCB layout and schematic capture an asset.
- Good technical writing skills and ability to create and maintain technical manuals, user guides, SOP’s, Work Instructions, and BOM’s.
- Good skills with standard office tools, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
- Maintain an efficient system for the tracking of technical updates, R&D follow up actions, ensuring provision and coordination of technical documentation and SOPs to service engineers.
- Ability to search and obtain technical data, models, documentation, and other related documents from various sources including the Web.
- Ensure effective communication of technical information and procedures development through regular meetings with Technical Manager and supporting team.
- In conjunction with the Hardware Design Manager produce and develop implementation plans for standardizing equipment and introducing new products. Generate maintenance routines and documentation to support the QMS.
- Review training materials with training department for new products, amend and introduce material necessary to stay current with advances in technology and procedures
- As necessary, provide advanced technical training modules on existing and new products to service engineers ensuring training remains fit for purpose. Provide technical advice to trainers to update technical training courses and identify new requirements and initiatives.
- Any other delegated responsibilities as instructed by Line Management within the timeframe specified in a safe and efficient manner to meet business requirements, provided the instruction is reasonable and you are capable and deemed competent to fulfill these.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment.
- Apply Weatherford, and where appropriate Client Company’s, Quality, Health, Safety & Environment Policy and Management Systems.
- Act in accordance with the Roles and Responsibilities as defined per location.
- Some international travel will be necessary in order to follow up on specific projects or for attendance at conferences, symposia and technology meetings.
- Diploma from a recognized Technical Institute or University in Mechanical or Electrical Drafting and Design
- Minimum 3 years experience and demonstrable skill using 2D & 3D CAD systems
- Experience in a systems support or R&D role
- Able to liaise effectively with Engineers and technical staff to create drawings, documentation specifications, etc. with minimal supervision
- Capable of producing quality written documents to support Engineering, Operations, and Training personnel
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Requires a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
- Successful completion of a Pre-employment Medical, Drug & Alcohol test
- Qualification in an Engineering discipline such as Electronics, Mechanical, Instrumentation
- Some experience with QC document control systems, inventory or part database systems would be an asset
- Project planning in a technical support / R&D environment
- A demonstrable understanding of scientific methodology and statistics
Weatherford offers a competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.