Material Engineering Supervisor (23464) Edmonton, Canada
Weatherford International Ltd.is one of the largest global providers of products and services that span the drilling, evaluation, completion, production, and intervention cycles of oil and natural gas wells. We are the fastest growing major service company and use a combination of our global service footprint, extensive manufacturing infrastructure and strong research and development capabilities to provide the industry with continuously improving product and service offerings that enable more efficient operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop materials development strategy for the progressing cavity pump, fluid power system and COROD continuous rod product lines.
- Work with product line manager and product line engineering manager to identify and define projects and other activities to support the short and long term requirements of the supported product lines. This includes but is not limited to fundamental research and product development activities to transform market opportunities and technological innovation into new products.
- Coordinate the execution of the material engineering projects and other activities in a way that optimizes the development cycle, is cost effective and minimizes the risk of problems in the field testing and commercialization stages.
- Maintain and update product line specific material specifications including but not limited to: elastomer formulations, metallurgy and critical manufacturing processes.
- Ensure the integrity of new products that incorporate new materials by leading the failure analysis of prototypes from internal testing and field trials and prior to commercialization generating specifications for material compounding, quality requirements and manufacturing processibility.
- As required participate in product failure analysis including the inspections, root cause analysis and corrective action identification and implementation.
- Supervise the materials team resources including day to day direction as well as longer term personnel development.
- Manage the Canadian elastomer laboratory and associated materials test equipment including ensuring it is in good working condition and that schedules are in place to ensure lab services are completed in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and mentorship on material technical issues and to the technical specialists for the manufacturing plants associated with the supported product lines. This includes reviewing and determining the disposition of nonconformance’s, providing training as required, assisting with problems beyond their scope of expertise, acting as a technical specialist and/or leading projects with materials implications.
- Maintain regular contact with the materials resources at the Brazil facility with regard to development projects and manufacturing support activities.
- Act as liaison with the Weatherford global materials engineering group in Houston to capitalize on synergies with materials work being done for other product lines.
- Follow materials developments in the associated product line industries and in other relevant industries. Coordinate attendance of seminars, courses and conferences. Build an effective knowledge network.
- Participate in discussions, meetings and tours with internal operational groups and customers including the preparation and presentation of technical information.
Materials Engineering or Chemistry Degree with specialization in Metallurgy or Polymers.
- Advanced materials development and testing methods
- Materials manufacturing processes: welding, casting, rubber extrusion
- Strong knowledge of corrosion, coatings, metallurgy and elastomer testing
- Oilfield produced fluids and drilling fluids
- Downhole oilfield products and operations-specifically progressing cavity pumps, fluid power systems and continuous and standard sucker rods
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project, Access) expertise
- Strong organizational skills including ability to multitask numerous activities
- Project management experience
- Supervisory experience
- String communication skills (oral and written)
- Root cause analysis and problem solving
- Quality audits
- Detail orientated
- Team player
- Reliable and highly motivated
- Working Environment: Office, laboratory and manufacturing floor.
- Physical Demands: Minimal.
- Hours of Work: Monday to Friday days with additional time as required to support critical requirements.
Weatherford offers a competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.