Material Engineering Supervisor (23464) Edmonton, Canada
Weatherford International Ltd.is one of the largest global providers of products and services that span the drilling, evaluation, completion, production, and intervention cycles of oil and natural gas wells. We are the fastest growing major service company and use a combination of our global service footprint, extensive manufacturing infrastructure and strong research and development capabilities to provide the industry with continuously improving product and service offerings that enable more efficient operations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop materials development strategy for the progressing cavity pump, fluid power system and COROD continuous rod product lines.
- Work with product line manager and product line engineering manager to identify and define projects and other activities to support the short and long term requirements of the supported product lines. This includes but is not limited to fundamental research and product development activities to transform market opportunities and technological innovation into new products.
- Coordinate the execution of the material engineering projects and other activities in a way that optimizes the development cycle, is cost effective and minimizes the risk of problems in the field testing and commercialization stages.
- Maintain and update product line specific material specifications including but not limited to: elastomer formulations, metallurgy and critical manufacturing processes.
- Manage the Canadian elastomer laboratory and associated materials test equipment including ensuring it is in good working condition and that schedules are in place to ensure lab services are completed in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and mentorship on material technical issues and to the technical specialists for the manufacturing plants associated with the supported product lines. This includes reviewing and determining the disposition of nonconformance’s, providing training as required, assisting with problems beyond their scope of expertise, acting as a technical specialist and/or leading projects with materials implications.
Materials Engineering or Chemistry Degree with specialization in Metallurgy or Polymers.
- Advanced materials development and testing methods
- Materials manufacturing processes: welding, casting, rubber extrusion
- Strong knowledge of corrosion, coatings, metallurgy and elastomer testing
- Oilfield produced fluids and drilling fluids
- Downhole oilfield products and operations-specifically progressing cavity pumps, fluid power systems and continuous and standard sucker rods
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project, Access) expertise
- Strong organizational skills including ability to multitask numerous activities
- Project management experience
- Supervisory experience
- Detail orientated
- Team player
- Reliable and highly motivated
Weatherford offers a competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.