Technical Writer, Drilling Services (23803) Nisku, Canada
One of the largest oilfield services companies, Weatherford operates in more than 100countries and employs more than 50,000 people worldwide. With a product and service portfolio that spans the life cycle of a well— drilling, evaluation, completion, production and intervention— and a robust research and development effort, we are well positioned to meet the ever-evolving needs of the oil and gas industry. Turn to Weatherford for attentive service and Tactical Technology™ designed to maximize the value of your oil and gas assets. The change will do you goodSM
The Technical Writer will report directly to the Mechanical Engineering Manager. The Technical Writer will maintain technical documentation for the Drilling Services Engineering group. Primary function will be developing and editing the manuals and other media materials created for directional drilling tools (Drilling Motors being the primary tool in product line).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in any particular order)
- Create, edit and proof all types of technical documentation collateral in accordance with applicable universal conventions and evolving corporate & industry standards.
- Organize materials and complete writing assignments according to established company guidelines.
- Present information in a form and at a level suitable for the intended audience.
- Information will include; manuals, technical papers, general data reports, presentation text, etc..
- Observe and analyze all revisions for accuracy and clarity.
- Confer with all applicable Subject Matter Experts for verification and approval of final documents.
- Edit and proof all types of technical documentation collateral in accordance with applicable universal conventions and evolving corporate & industry standards.
- Support development, communication, and enforcement of communication standards throughout the company.
- Adhere to and uphold departmental policies, processes, procedures, and practices.
- Know and understand Weatherford Quality Policy and comply with all requirements of the Quality Systems Manual, Operating and Technical Procedures and Workplace Instructions.
- Must understand and comply with all safety rules and company policies of Weatherford.
- Work assignments carried out to the highest quality level.
- Available to work overtime as required
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Preferred post-secondary education with a technical writing background
- Experience working in a manufacturing-type environment considered an asset
- Competent with standard computing software, Word, Excel, Adobe software packages, etc.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and digital photography considered an asset.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks or Pro-E preferred
- Ability to work independently with little supervision is a must
- Basic understanding of mechanical components and assemblies
- Hands on mechanical shop experience preferred
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
Weatherford offers a competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.