Mechanical Engineer (ENG-13-00007) Newark, California
We’re looking for an insightful and practical mechanical engineer to provide hands-on design of new Computerized Tomography (CT) machines used for automated explosives detection for baggage inspection. Challenges include designing rotating machinery, radiation shielding, and electronics packaging. In this role, you’ll complete thermal and structural analysis to support your design decisions. You’ll also interface with suppliers, direct mechanical designers to complete product design details, procure prototype parts, assemble prototype products, complete documentation, and release to production. You must be capable of leading projects and people, and be skilled at collaborating with cross-functional teams.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete mechanical designs for new Explosive Detection Systems (EDS) compliant to meet thermal, structural, X-ray shielding, and other performance requirements. Design custom mechanical components and specify COT components to meet system requirements.
- Design machined and sheet metal parts, plastic molded parts, and castings, including coating selection and tooling development.
- Complete appropriate analysis to support technical decisions on new designs.
- Complete design documentation, including mechanical drawings, Bills of Material, assembly instructions, installation instructions, and specification control drawings.
- Complete design verification testing, including defining test procedures, conducting field and lab testing, and writing test reports.
- Procure prototype material. Work with suppliers to improve manufacturability and reduce product cost while meeting design objectives.
- Work closely with the cross-functional team to facilitate the design, development, and release of new products by identifying roadblocks to progress and eliminating them. Take ownership in efforts to reduce time to market.
- Assist with the assembly of prototype machines, identify required refinements, and implement required changes for production release.
- Manage system level troubleshooting investigations, perform experiments, analyze data, and present results.
- Conduct design reviews and provide regular status reports, written and/or verbal, to project team members.
- Direct the activities of mechanical designers and technicians and manage projects as appropriate.
- The mechanical engineer in this position works closely with a dynamic group of engineers, technicians, manufacturing staff, and suppliers who are passionate in the design and manufacture of Computerized Tomography (CT) systems.
- Position reports to the Hardware Engineering Manager. Mechanical Engineer works under the direction of the Engineering Manager and Program Managers.
- BSME or equivalent 4-year degree
- At least 2 years of mechanical design experience of moderately complex assemblies, from concept, through prototype, to production.
- Demonstrated experience with designing mechanical components, including machined and sheet metal parts, and weldments.
- Working knowledge of thermal analysis of electronics.
- Familiarity with improving product manufacturability, including improving product yield and throughput.
- At least 1 year of 3D solid modeling experience.
- Working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 1994 (or later) Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Broad experience with office automation products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.)
Must submit your application for employment through the Morpho Detection website to be considered.
Must be 18 years or older.
Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process.
Must be willing to submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Must be a US Citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States
Must be willing to work out of an office in Newark, CA
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, to communicate with electrical and mechanical engineers, production planners, buyers, suppliers, production technicians, manufacturing engineers, and field application engineers.
- Experience with reliability engineering, including working knowledge of Weibull analysis and Reliability Growth Testing (RGT) techniques.
- 3D modeling skills with Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks. Familiarity with Autodesk Vault or Solidworks ePDM.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) using ANSYS or similar tool.
- Working knowledge of UL requirements for machine safety.
- Experience designing plastic molded parts and castings.
- Hands-on experience with designing automated machinery, semiconductor capital equipment, or X-ray systems design.
- Familiarity with Agile configuration management software.
About the Organization
At Morpho Detection, we know that our people are our most valuable asset. With that in mind, we offer excellent competitive benefits and compensation, a great working environment, and the opportunity to work with leading edge technology. We are looking for people who are seeking a challenging position; those who thrive in an environment where innovation and responsiveness are the norm.
Morpho Detection is a leader in explosive and narcotics detection for aviation safety, checked baggage screening, military & critical infrastructure protection and new growth platforms in Chem/Bio, X-ray and Radiation/Nuclear detection. Morpho Detection was formed in September 2009 by the acquisition of GE Homeland Protection by Sagem Sécurité (Safran Group)
The Safran group operates worldwide, through offices and facilities in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia-Pacific. Through this global presence we enhance our competitiveness, while building industrial and commercial relations with the world's leading prime contractors and operators. Our international development strategy reflects our commitment to delivering fast, local service to customers around the world.
If you would like to be a part of a fast-paced, exciting industry that demands and rewards the best, we want to hear from you.
Morpho Detection is an equal opportunity employer.