Property Accountant (2708) Toronto, Canada
About Colliers International
Colliers is the leader in global real estate services, defined by our spirit of enterprise. Through a culture of service excellence and a shared sense of initiative, we integrate the resources of real estate specialists worldwide to accelerate the success of our partners. Putting into action our values of Service, Expertise, Community and Fun, we foster a collaborative, fun culture and give back to the places where we live and work. Our most valuable resource is our people: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about doing great work and providing exemplary service to clients and to one another.
We are successful because we enjoy what we do!
Purpose of Position:
We are looking for a Property Accountant to join our Toronto office. The successful candidate will be responsible for all required day-to-day accounting functions for an assigned portfolio of properties. The properties will generally be concentrated in one geographical area, but will vary by size and type. This is a comprehensive position that requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting. The Property Accountant will be in contact with operational staff on a regular basis to ensure they are receiving the information required to manage the properties and the reporting calendar is met. This individual will provide accounting technical expertise to operational staff so an ability to understand the operational point of view is a must.
Summary of Essential Job Fuctions:
- Prepare and review of property financial statements and corresponding working papers for a portfolio of commercial properties including retail, office, and industrial properties (as applicable);
- Perform required accounting functions including analysis of balance sheet accounts, balancing of sub-ledgers to general ledger, posting journal entries, preparation of supporting working papers, tax remittances, and bank reconciliations / monitoring as required;
- Calculate tenant realty tax and operating cost (CAM) billings on a monthly basis, maintain recovery models, complete recovery shortfall analysis, and review and interpret tenant lease clauses in order to ensure recoveries meet the requirements of the tenants’ lease;
- Prepare reporting as required by the team leader including; cash flow projections and client distributions, reports and schedules required by auditors, clients and other analysis as required;
- Participate in the annual operating budget and periodic reforecasts for assigned portfolio including input of leasing assumptions, calculation of recoveries, review of expenses, amortization, etc;
- Work proactively with the operations team to identify and resolve issues regarding the monthly financial results, reporting packages to clients, tenant CAM / TAX (recoveries) questions, and provide guidance on proper accounting policies;
- Ensure accounting information is properly recorded by operational team including; security deposits, accounts receivable adjustments, and coding expenses;
- Support and implement special project initiatives including documentation, process efficiencies, and implantation of system related improvements;
- Special projects and other duties, as assigned by team leader.
- Experience in property accounting, client accounting, property management accounting, and/or real estate accounting preferred;
- Actively working towards an accounting designation (CMA / CGA / CA / CPA);
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and proficient with Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within, as well as outside the organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and professionally under pressure or in stressful situations;
- Independent, self-starter, and also works well in a team based environment;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to manage conflicting priorities within structured deadlines and deliverables;
- Knowledge and experience related to technology and accounting systems in a real estate environment (Yardi considered an asset).
If you enjoy working in an optimistic, energetic and dynamic work environment that emphasizes social as well as business interaction, then we invite you to apply.