Technical Writer w/Ambari Experience - HW1521 (BBBH456) East Palo Alto, California
Together with the Apache community, we are making Hadoop more robust and easier to use for enterprises and more open and extensible for solution providers. We also provide expert support and training.
Senior technical writers are responsible for the delivery of highly technical product documentation to our customers. This role requires initiative, drive, and a willingness to explore new tools and approaches to rapidly adapt to customer needs. The senior technical writer will have the ability to quickly master complex technical concepts to provide the necessary supporting documentation. The right candidate will be able to work onsite alongside the Palo Alto-based development team.
- Write documentation for installing, administering, and monitoring Hadoop via Ambari.
- Write documentation for working with the Ambari APIs.
- Write instructions on working with applications in the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Work with Development, Quality, and Support to provide useful troubleshooting tips and tutorials.
- Produce conceptual material to explain highly technical concepts quickly and effectively to data scientists and system administrators.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years technical writing for enterprise software, in the field of relational databases, or high-end servers.
- Experience with XML and structured authoring in general.
- Experience using Linux (CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu, or SuSE).
- Experience writing API documentation.
- Experience writing in an Agile environment.
- Experience with testing code samples and producing useful feedback on the user experience.
- Strong, clear, and concise writing style.
- Ability to adapt to changes in requirements and responsibilities.
- Ability to learn new technical concepts quickly and create audience-appropriate documentation.
- Ability to collaborate with developers and other writers to reach solutions.
- A track record of successfully working with cross-functional teams to deliver quality documentation.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience writing for Business Analytics software or Data Clusters.
- Experience with Networking and Hadoop.
- Experience managing or contributing to an open-source documentation project.
- Experience writing for a systems administrator audience.
- Experience with REST APIs.
- Knowledge of DocBook.
- Working knowledge of Git and Github.
- Familiarity with applications in the Hadoop Ecosystem (Pig, Hive, HBase, Oozie, Sqoop, Flume, ZooKeeper).