Staff Scientist I- Bioinformatics (9631) Santa Clara, California
The algorithms and data analysis department seeks a talented and motivated individual to provide analytical support for internal product research and development efforts.
The successful candidate will work closely with Affymetrix scientists in the analysis of DNA microarray data for genotyping SNPs and other genetic applications. Duties will include application of existing data analysis techniques as well as development of novel approaches where appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Statistical analysis of DNA microarray data for the purpose of SNP genotyping and design of genotyping microarrays
- Development of algorithms for evaluating the quality of genotypes associated with SNPs, samples, and datasets for data filtering and troubleshooting.
- Implement algorithms in prototype software which can be used in research and product development and which can be handed over to commercial software developers for integration into commercial product.
- Participate as the data analysis representative in project teams for development of novel products.
- Communicate analytical approaches and results to expert audiences at internal and external scientific meetings.
- Work closely with other Affymetrix departments including advanced research, product development, software development and legal.
- Masters or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Genome Science, with a firm background in applied data analysis.
Advanced programming skills in
- One of R, S, Splus, SAS or Matlab
- Scripting language such as Perl, or Python
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of challenging problems.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in analysis of microarray data considered a strong plus.
- Experience in statistical genetics, genotyping imputation, and Genome Wide Association Studies (GWAS) considered a strong plus.
- Experience with Supervised Learning approaches and algorithms considered a strong plus
Affymetrix (AFFX) is a pioneer in creating breakthrough tools that are driving the genomic revolution. Affymetrix technology is used by the world's top pharmaceutical, diagnostic, and biotechnology companies, as well as leading academic, government, and nonprofit research institutes. The vision, innovation, and devotion of Affymetrix employees help us empower scientists around the world to alleviate human suffering. It is not just the sheer power of our technology that inspires us; it is the potential for it to help people.
Our employees create a highly energized, team-oriented work environment. We are an employer committed to supporting the aspirations and achievements of our employees and offer our employees a comprehensive, competitive program of benefits and a corporate culture based on core values of daring, passionate and platinum.
***Affymetrix is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, veteran status, disability or other protected status. Our commitment to a diverse workforce is demonstrated through all aspects of our hiring and employment practices. ***