Voice and Data Network Technician (3209) Gainesville, Texas
1) OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY:
Perform installation, maintenance, and repair work on voice and data, wired and wireless communications equipment, software, hardware and networks. Analyze, test, and evaluate network systems, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), Internet, intranet, and other data communications systems..
Experienced Voice and Data Network Technician with 2-4 years of experience in a medium to large enterprise environment supporting various voice and data network hardware and technologies. The incumbent will be accountable to readily detect, diagnose, escalate, resolve and document problems with the voice and data network environment.
2) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand and support various Voice and Data Network technologies: including but not limited to: Mitel 3300 PBX and Mitel IP phones, Dell PowerConnect Switches.
- Understand and support various system management tools: SNMP Service Manager, SSH, TFTP, Telnet, Juniper Ringmaster for Wireless.
- Understand and resolve complex data network issues: hardware and facility (T1, T3, OC48, OC192, Firewall, QoS, Frame Relay, MPLS, Ethernet, VLANs)
- Data Protocols (BGP, IP, Multi-cast, SNMP, STP, Spanning Tree, etc)
- Understand and resolve complex voice issues: hardware, voice mail, call routing (Trunk, COR, COS, Vectors and VDN), facility (DS1, ISDN/PRI and media gateways)
- Must be able to articulate troubleshooting and repair processes and procedures with technical expertise
- Experience with ticketing and tracking systems for incident and change management
- Identifies, troubleshoots and resolves hardware-, software- and network-related problems encountered by end-users of the network, the Internet, PCs and new computer technology.
- Performs primary system administration on network and telco equipment as needed.
- Installs, certifies and troubleshoots campus and remote-campus network cabling infrastructure, including a wide variety of local area network equipment and software.
- Works with vendors to resolve hardware operating system issues; researches and tests possible solutions and implements solutions. Analyzes bugs in system and application software; researches and tests possible solutions; implements solutions.
- Uses established tracking system to log requests; monitors progress, tracks problem resolution, identifies patterns of failure, researches bug fixes and implements solutions; communicates with manager regarding unresolved problems.
- Optimizes computer usage by researching and recommending enhancements to system capabilities and performance.
3) QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A. Knowledge and skills:
1. Understanding of network standards, such as TCP/IP network, and they must be able to configure networks for fast, secure, reliable operation
2. Must have the product knowledge and technical skills to install network components and operating systems.
3. Must be able to troubleshot network issues quickly by identifying the sources of problems, which could be due to hardware, software or network faults. They must also be able to analyze network traffic flows to identify potential bottlenecks and improve levels of service to users.
B. Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor Degree in computer or information science, computer engineering or electrical engineering or equivalent preferred.
2. Minimum of 2+ years of experience providing technical network and telco support
3. Cisco Network Technician (CCNA) or other network certification preferred.
C. Communication Skills:
Must have the ability to generate written communication and to operate required office equipment. Ability to read and review written communication. Speech and hearing abilities that allow individual to communicate clearly and distinctly in English.
D. Reasoning Ability:
Ability to think strategically and solve problems.
4) PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position requires extended periods of sitting while working with computers and viewing computer monitors, and other office equipment. Finger dexterity needed in using misc. office equipment such as telephone, typing, ten key, fax, copy machine etc. Bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to approximately twenty-five pounds are required during tasks related to the job.