Manager - Instrumental Evaluation (PCK336-42158) Clark, New Jersey
This position is in the Cosmetics Evaluation Group at L’Oreal USA’s R&I facility in Clark, NJ.
This position is responsible for managing Cosmetics Aid-to-Formulation Instrumental Testing, Instrumental Methods Development and Instrumental and Consumer Claims-Substantiation Testing for all cosmetic products manufactured by L’Oreal USA.
· Guides team in developing new bio-instrumental and consumer claims tests and methods, as well as designing and conducting special study projects;
· Performs project tracking with resource/budget itemization;
· Develops and maintains an in-depth understanding of laboratory equipment and their capabilities, and ensures proper instrumental operation/maintenance documentation in instrumental master files;
· Evaluates and summarizes published literature on various topics in cosmetic testing;
· Maintains own and supervises team’s laboratory notebooks to ensure they are up to date in accordance with standard operating procedures;
· Interacts with R&I marketing Liaison team, formulation labs and legal team to determine the instrumental and consumer methods for aid to formulation and product claims substantiation;
· Analyzes instrumental and consumer test data and writes reports to clearly communicate findings in a timely manner;
· Develops and scouts for new methods to establish novel instrumental and consumer cosmetic claims;
· Collaborates with French colleagues to standardize research protocols;
· · Works with consumers, expert panelists, cosmetologists, sensory & consumer scientists, formulators, French counterparts, clinicians, academics and consultants;
·· Forms ties to professional organizations and collaborates with colleagues in appropriate fields:
· Master’s with 5 - 7 years or Ph.D. with 3 - 5 years of working experience with degrees in Biological or Physical Sciences, Chemical Engineering or Bio-Engineering or related fields;
· Excellent collaboration, interpersonal, presentation, written/oral communication skills in English, ability to communicate in French a plus;
· At least 3-5 years experience managing a team of diverse individuals engaged in scientific endeavors;
· · Working knowledge with demonstrated track record of innovation individually as well as leadership in a team setting;
· Specific knowledge and experience with skin bioengineering instrumentation and material/surface/interaction evaluations including optical/spectral, mechanical/viscoelastic, friction/force, surface energy, imaging/image analyses, as applied in cosmetics/consumer product industries are highly desirable;
· · Knowledge and experience using both parametric and non-parametric statistics, statistical modeling skills a plus;
· Creativity in developing new testing methods especially those used for cosmetic claims;
· Interview and survey-design skills a plus;
· Interest in human behavior/perception and sensory properties of products;
· Must be proficient in Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Expertise in data analysis and statistical software such as XLSTATS/SigmaSTATS, image-analysis and computational software such as MatLab, ImagePro , coding/programming skills highly desirable.
Must be legally eligible to work in the US on an on-going basis.