Supervisor, Field Systems (Maintenance) (44669) Las Vegas, Nevada
Position Summary: Supervises the HFC network Maintenance staff in order to ensure that established technical standards are met on an ongoing basis. Coordinates activities that minimize breaks in service and outages, and by facilitating internal and external communications. Responsible for assisting with the preparation and monitoring of expense and capital budgets to assure cost effective expenditures in the department. Identifies and corrects operations barriers that hinder successful performance.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual assigned to this position. Primary responsibilities and tasks are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All requirements, however, are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability. Employees have the responsibility of notifying their Supervisor and Human Resources of any disability, which may require their position or responsibilities to be modified.
Position reports to:
Mgr, HFC Network
Direct Reports include:
• Maintenance Technician(s) all levels
• Admin Specialist
Primary Responsibilities/Tasks - Essential Functions
• Supervises work activity and production of maintenance personnel to include scheduling and assessing the need for overtime or emergency work.
• Ensures full compliance with Human Resources standards in the areas of:
* Screening/Interviewing/Selection Recommendations
* Counseling/Disciplinary Actions
* Performance Evaluations/Promotional Opportunities
* Implementation of EEO programs
• Provides technical assistance/direction to other departments as needed.
• Prepares and maintains required departmental paperwork, logs, reports and records.
• Ensures that department vehicles are maintained and properly cared for.
• Facilitates training, mentoring, career pathing in development of Technicians.
• Performs field job inspections.
• Facilitates and/or performs periodic reporting of performance of Technicians, plant and budgetary variances.
• Assists in compliance with all FCC rules and regulations including CLI and System Proofs.
• Ensures proper training of subordinates in all aspects of safety and maintenance procedures.
• Enforces all safety and maintenance procedures
• Ensures preventative maintenance is done in the areas of:
1) CLI is in compliance of FCC rules & regulations.
2) Balancing and Sweeping both forward and reverse spectrums.
3) Power Supply maintenance.
4) Troubleshooting any sub-band problems.
• Monitors system outages to ensure they are repaired within department guidelines and if necessary assist with the repair.
• Performs all duties according to prescribed safety procedures and use appropriate safety equipment.
• Maintains assigned vehicle and tools in a secure manner and performs minor preventative
• Adheres to all administrative procedures associated with position.
• Provides technical support for Field Services, Contractor Relations, HSD and the MTC as needed.
• 24 / 7 on call duties on a rotational basis
• While On Call, Investigates any after hours outside plant hazard calls with injuries.
• Assists Maintenance Technicians with field issues including outages, area problems, manhole entry and Fiber damages.
• Develops and implements proper operation and procedure for new technologies.
• Evaluates and makes recommendation for the purchase of new test and plant equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Typically requires BS/BA in related discipline; some disciplines may only require Associates degree
• Generally 3-5 years experience in related field
• Certification is required in some areas
Additional System Requirements
• Working knowledge of the construction and maintenance of the fiber optics system for optics/laser transmitter to optical receivers (indoor and field) at 1310nm/1550nm
• Proficient at Fiber Optic testing using appropriate test equipment
• Ability to splice fiber optic cable with mechanical & fusion splices
• Valid Nevada drivers license with an acceptable driving record
• 5 years experience in technical cable operations
• Outside Plant Maintenance experience
• 2 years experience in electronics or related training.
• 1 year prior experience in supervision or equivalent work experience functioning in a supervisory/lead capacity.
• Demonstrated success in a position requiring work distribution, training, schedule, problem analysis and resolution.
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to use proper coaching and counseling methods.
• Excellent understanding of RF and Optical operations both theoretical and practical including unity gain.
• Ability to resolve system technical problems using accepted practices, procedures and FCC technical standards.
• Working knowledge of all reporting tools available to identify system issues including Cable modem provisioning system software and any other tools available.
• Ability to maintain proficiency with new technologies and services.
• Knowledgeable in the operation of advanced field test equipment including: OTDR, fusion splicer, spectrum analyzer, QAM analyzer, Optical power meter, Fiber traffic identifier and Laser source.
• Proficient math skills.
• Ability to read maps / system prints
• Ability to be certified in pole climbing, extension ladders and Bucket truck usage.
• Visual acuity necessary to operate test equipment.
Recommended Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Some college education preferred
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• Working knowledge of MTC components for signal processing and flow of Analog, Digital and Data/Phone
• Understanding of the Fiber Optic transport set up and operation
• SCTE involvement
• Meeting established standards of preventative maintenance for assigned Maintenance area over time.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• System Sweep tracking for assigned area.
• Outage restoration time for given Maintenance area.
• CLI performance and reporting.
• Adherence to all administrative procedures.
• Job inspection performance.
• Initiative and Team participation.
• Acceptable and/or improving EOS scores.
• Trends of activity in geographic area of responsibility.
Confidential and Sensitive Information:
• Limited access to customer information.
• Monitors expenditures against approved budget.
• Secures quotes from vendors to assure lowest pricing for equipment purchases.
• Each Supervisor directly oversee an area of over 140,000 homes passed, 90,000 subscribers, 7000 active devices and 1100 plant miles. (Estimated plant value of 44 Million Dollars)
• Electricity, heights, dangerous tools, traffic
• Extreme weather conditions
• Works unscheduled hours as needed
• Occasionally working in manholes
• Daily driving of a company vehicle
• Able to tolerate weather extremes
Ability to lift and carry up to 100 lbs., climb poles and ladders, work in cramped spaces and at heights.
Ability to tolerate weather extremes.
Strength and coordination sufficient to perform pole and ladder climbing.
Vision, depth perception and hand eye coordination so to perform regular job duties.
Visual acuity necessary to operate test equipment.
Tools And Equipment:
• Signal level/Sweep meter
• Amp Clamp
• Cell Phone
• Gas detector
• Portable gas generator
• Hand Tools
• Company vehicle
• Power Meter
• Spectrum Analyzer
• QAM Analyzer
• Fiber Traffic Identifier
• Fusion Splicer