Deputy Chief Operating Officer (PCK333-220078) New York, USA
AIG has an opportunity for a Deputy Chief Operating Officer to join the rapidly growing Science organization in the Property & Casualty business. Recognizing the power of technology, data, and computational science to transform the insurance industry, AIG has formed the Science team consisting of world class business minds and scientists to drive transformational change through evidence-based decision making at the company.
Highly visible and fully supported by the leadership team of the company, the group has a broad and global mandate ranging from solving complex business problems to partnering with leading academicians on the development of next generation modeling techniques. The group’s intent is to be a center of innovation at the company and a catalyst for change.
AIG has an opportunity for a Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Science who will play an integral role in the strategy and development of the organization. This individual will provide guidance to the Science Executive Team (“SET”) and all Science project leaders/ business partners.
Organization Structure and Interface:
This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer, Science. The role will also interface directly with the Science Executive Team and other key stakeholders including Operating Excellence, Finance, and business partners.
Serve as a partner to the Chief Operating Officer and assume broad accountability for the operations of the Science team. Specific accountabilities include the following:
• Assume predominant responsibility for managing a number of important processes including resource allocation (staffing for projects), project prioritization, project reporting, and project and process management
• Managing a staff of high performing and high potential professionals
• Continue to work with the SET and the project management team to hone Science Modelling Guidelines (SMG) and ensure timely and consistent execution.
• Serve as a coach and advisor to project teams regarding project and process management.
• Interface with project management teams within our client organizations.
• Directly manage and continue to oversee the resource allocation/ staffing process. Serve as a resource to project leads and individual employees to ensure ideal staffing from both perspectives.
• Actively engage and manage off-shore analytical consultants. Work collaboratively with Global Sourcing and other internal departments to ensure timely, high quality execution and compliance.
• Work on strategic projects for Chief Science Officer, Chief Operating Officer of Science and other senior PC leaders
• Work collaboratively with Science’s Communications team to develop speeches and presentations for Science Executive Team. Serve as advisor and partner regarding internal and external communications strategy for Science
• Continuously and continually evaluate the processes and activities of Science to maximize the group’s impact for our business partners.
• Become a counselor / trusted advisor to Science Executive Team on a broad array of issues.
The Ideal Candidate Should Have:
• A minimum of 10 years in senior insurance experience with a mix of operational, project management, strategy, sales/ distribution and financial roles. A minimum of 3 years at AIG PC. Very strong preference for internal AIG candidate.
• The ideal candidate will have a mix of project management, operations, start-up experience, finance, strategy, and sales/ business development.
• Demonstrated ability to critical analyze complex business situations from an operational and process standpoint.
• Experience with Six Sigma, Lean, or Stage Gate methodologies and proven experience in implementing new approaches in insurance companies.
• Strong capability to lead teams, and problem solving within those teams and more widely, towards practical business impact.
• Executive presence-- ability to influence multiple high level stakeholders across several functions
• Demonstrated ability to supervise complex substantive analysis, including statistical models on large data sets.
• Strong critical thinker with experience in hypothesis-driven problem analysis and pyramid style communication
• Outstanding presentation skills, including presenting complex concepts to non-technical audiences
• Demonstrated ability to drive change through collaboration
• M.B.A. or Masters in a quantitative discipline