Senior Life Underwriting Consultant - Virtual (PCK333-250721) Atlanta, Georgia
Picture yourself building a successful career at American General Life Insurance Companies working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming the #1 insurance provider who is changing the way Americans think about, purchase and use insurance. We believe that our success depends on building a world class team. If you would like to be a part of our Life Underwriting team, we invite you to apply for this Senior Underwriting Consultant position, a part of the Nashville, TN staff but available to work remote. This position carries a full benefits package with company pension, 401K, etc.
As a Senior Underwriting Consultant for our dynamic Life Underwriting team, you will underwrite complex life insurance applications with face amounts up to $3,000,000.
This position reports to a Director within the larger underwriting group.
• Perform all transactions necessary to underwrite pending applications with face amounts to 3 MIL.
• Analyze complex information and interpret to reach comprehensive medical and financial assessments based on company guidelines and policy.
• Request appropriate medical and financial information from agents, doctors, laboratories, inspection companies and other information sources.
• Analyze underwriting requirements received in order to properly classify risk.
• Correspond, both verbally and in writing, with agents, doctors, laboratories, inspection companies and other services as necessary concerning information on applications.
• Interpret MIB Codes and report new MIB codes.
• Consult with more Senior Underwriters, Chief Underwriter, and Medical Director on cases relating to the risk selection process. Obtain cosigns as required by departmental guidelines.
• Consult with Reinsurance Companies on those more complex cases where reinsurance is required. Stay abreast of new information important to the risk selection process.
• Coordinate with other Home Office personnel to resolve problems and/or exceptions regarding the risk selection process. Will handle most moderate to difficult problems independently.
• Provide guidance to the field force and home office staff regarding underwriting problems and requirements. May be involved in training internal and external customers on underwriting topics.
• Plan, develop and conduct special projects as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Should Have:
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of six (6) years life underwriting experience OR a high school diploma with a minimum of eight (8) years life underwriting experience.
• Industry designations preferred (ALU). Participation in continuing education required (LOMA, etc.)
• Demonstrate advanced technical underwriting knowledge and skills.
• Excellent communication and PC capabilities.
• Must be organized and able to manage a large workload.
• Ability to make real-time decisions in a fast-paced environment characterized by ambiguity and change.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling highly sensitive or confidential information and be able to defuse conflict and negotiate positive results.